cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download or Upload

valart
Grafter

Download or Upload

Since the visit of the BT engineer my speed as doubled my download speed is 8.45 mb and upload is 0.598 I am not sure about the upload speed but which is more important of the two,the engineer told me the distance away from the exchange is the problem I will not increase on these upload and download figures unless I go for fibre broadband.
13 REPLIES 13
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Download or Upload

Can you post the full stats including Uptime from your modem/router? To get the stats, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post.
valart
Grafter

THOMSON
Thomson Gateway
Broadband Connection
DSL Connection
Internet Services
Toolbox
Home Network

[ Administrator ] Overview | Details | Help
Home > Broadband Connection > DSL Connection

Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:19:44
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,176 / 11,131
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 288
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 266

Pick a task...
See information about my broadband connection(s)
I hope this is the information that is needed for your help as a elderly gent I am not very good with this copy and paste so I hope all I have done is correct.Thank You
Anotherone
Champion

The information is fine, but I notice that the uptime is only 19minutes and 44 seconds. Have you just rebooted the modem/router for some reason? - not a good idea unless it was essential, maybe you were away and it was switched off which wouldn't be a problem.
Your Upstream sync speed is fine, but although your downstream is fairly fast it should be better, but IIRC you have some internal wiring that could do with sorting but you didn't feel able to have a go at it. The downstream speed is usually the most important for normal usage and as you are probably are the only user it should be fast enough for what you may be running at any one time.
Post back if you have any more questions.
valart
Grafter

I thank your reply I should not think it is the wiring because my router is plugged into my new main socket that the engineer replaced by passing the internal wiring.My speed is fast enough for my needs on my laptop,thanks for your help.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, but did the engineer connect up your internal wiring so that you have extension sockets working?
valart
Grafter

I am not sure about the sockets I have two internal sockets but I only use my router the main socket so it does not bother me if the others are working or not,the engineer left is private number and if I wanted to renew my internal wiring he would do this in his spare time  at a reasonable price.He really is a nice guy he never charged me for the new socket he put in but I made sure that he left with something.
Anotherone
Champion

What sort of faceplate is on your Master socket? Is it one of these?
valart
Grafter

No I was told that it was the latest faceplate ant it is filtered Openreach is written on the the face.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, one of these then I expect.
valart
Grafter

Yes that's the one.
Anotherone
Champion

Well as long as he's wired it up right which I'd assume he did if he was a proper Openreach engineer, if the extensions are connected, it ought not to make much difference. You can check if the extensions are working by plugging a filter with a corded phone into an extension socket.
njay
Grafter

The socket with the data socket at the top filters the bottom socket and any connected to 2,5 on the back so no need for microfilters. The exception is if they have used the A+B connections also present now which are intended for extending the data to another socket via data extension lead. If they have used the latter for one or more extension sockets intended for phones, they haven't done it correctly.
Hth
Anotherone
Champion

Whilst I'm well aware of that njay and your information is correct, it is probably too technical for valart. My reason and always will be for always stating that you should check with a FILTER and phone is that if sockets have been incorrectly wired, plugging anything in without a filter will cause a loss of sync and a low sync event. I don't think users would be too happy with that, especially if they were on 20CN.