cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download and Upload speeds query

talacrush
Dabbler

Download and Upload speeds query

Currently I am able to download at about 7mbps and upload at 0.3mbps.
Sometimes when I am at a different location (which downloads at about 15mbps) I want to access and download my files remotely from my NAS server I have set up at home.
Can someone advise me what the likely download speed at my remote location is likely to be?  Will it be the usual speed for that location (ie 15mbps) or will it be limited by my home upload speeds of 0.3mbps?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Download and Upload speeds query

It is likely that you are on a capped upstream and unlocking it will about double the speeds
Quick check is to put your phone number in http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ ; and see it it says this
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN
Bright
Grafter

And whether you can uncap the speed or not, the transfer cannot occur any faster than your NAS can send the data up to the internet, which is limited by your ADSL upstream speed.
talacrush
Dabbler

"BT have advised that no current planned date for WBC on 21CN exists"
So I guess thats bad news for me !
Just to confirm then, remote download speeds from my home NAS server will be limited by the upload speed available on my line?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only option, if you really need it, is to pay for it
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20 and select Max Premium which will about double your effective speed and costs £7.83 per month
Yes remote download speeds from your home NAS server will be limited by the upload speed available on your line