Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download/Upload speeds unchanged after upgrade

jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Download/Upload speeds unchanged after upgrade

Hi,

I saw a couple of weeks ago that I could upgrade to Fibre Extra in My Account/Offers. I went ahead and did the order but I was dubious, as earlier this year I had upgraded and connection problems and frequent disconnects required me to revert to Fibre.

Long story short, the upgrade has gone through and while I was quoted speeds of 66/15 and was all too eager to accept, I am dismayed to see that I am still at the same speeds of 40/9 as before on standard Fibre. I will attach all the necessary information in hopes that someone at PlusNet may be able to shed some light. 😃

PS- An engineer was sent out before (January/February) and could find no fault in my house but there was never any follow up after that.

Kind Regards,

James

9 REPLIES 9
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Download/Upload speeds unchanged after upgrade

@jimmyc1991 

From your router stats it does not look like any upgrade to fibre extra has taken place. You should be able to get much higher speeds Try doing a BT speed test https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ After the initial speed result do the additional diagnostic test where you enter your phone number. It should then show the Downstream and Upstream IP profiles. On Fibre Extra the Upstream profile is always 20Mbps, if it says 10Mbps you have not been upgraded.

What happened after your previous upgrade in March this year, there is no follow up on the Forum, it sounds like it didn't go well if you had to revert to the 40/10 service. There may be some problem with your line or the BT estimates are wrong.

More detailed stats from the Hub 2 would be useful. From the Home Screen go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @jimmyc1991, I've just looked into this for you, I can see the line was upgraded but banding is in place, I've just taken the steps to get that removed for you which should take up to 24 hours. Apologies for the slow speeds and that should improve soon!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the insight, here is the extra diagnostic information you asked for. 

I contracted coronavirus in March and was out of commission for a few weeks hence the absence of a follow up and I had to revert to save the extra money etc. But the offer this time was too good to pass on, so I went for it. 

Cheers,

James

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jimmyc1991  Those figures don't look too clever, the downstream speed test is an error, it can't be that high. You have been upgraded to fibre extra but it doesn't look like your sync speed will increase from what is was previously.

@adamwalker  The line doesn't look banded, this needs further investigation as the speeds are well below the checker estimates.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @jimmyc1991, I'm sorry that you haven't seen any improvement. 

Just looking over things there were a few drops happen over the last 24 hours, were any of these caused by you rebooting etc? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi,
Yes most of these were me doing self testing, moving the router around the room and following diagnostic tools etc, and one or two accidents with the power strip (dogs!) 😱

The line itself is very stable, it’s just staying put at the same 40/10 standard fibre speeds as before and not coming up to the new fibre extra speeds. (60/20?)

Sorry for any confusion, I will be extra careful not to interrupt the router in future.

Regards,

James
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming! That explains the drops Smiley I just wanted to rule out a potential intermittent fault that could be causing problems with the speed.

It does look like you are within the estimates we gave on upgrading though can see the BT checker shows you should be able to get higher. If not already, could you connect your router to the test socket and see if that makes any improvement at all: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jimmyc1991
Dabbler

Hi,

I did this as part of the aforementioned testing, but gave it another shot to share the results here.

Speeds are still hovering around the same 40/10.

I’ve attached the technical log from the hub manager and BT Wholesale test report.

Regards,

James

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for trying, I'm sorry that it didn't make any difference! 

I think the best thing here would be for us to send you out an engineer to take a further look, would that be OK? If so, can you please provide me some availability for an engineer to attend and I'll get that booked in for you (engineer appointments are Mon-Fri, either an 8am-1pm slot or 1pm-6pm) Smiley

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team