Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download/Upload Speeds

Fletch79
Grafter

Download/Upload Speeds

Afternoon guys,
I've just moved onto Plusnet from my old ISP because i needed true unlimited on a BT line (No LLU or Fibre in my area)
I do a fair bit of downloading and it's classed as other by plusnet because of the port i use
My line profile and snr is all very similar to what it was before, the download speed i get now is slightly less (only a few kb/s so i'm not bother by that)
However i was trending the speed over the weekend and getting massive swings from around a 25% of normal speed to about 90% of what i am achieving at the time of typing this. 
This didn't happen with my old provider .... I understand they traffic manage so i removed all the other connections from my router and programs that may mess with speed for a while and still saw a similar 'speed wobble'
Is there something wrong?Huh
Upload - Is it possible to get the 1meg upload speeds (business packages) on a residential package?
34 REPLIES 34
Bright
Grafter

Re: Download/Upload Speeds

Possibly caused by this?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Fletch79,
Firstly welcome to Plusnet and our community forums.
I've checked over your line and everything appears to be performing/configured correctly.
Is this happening at specific times?
The link posted above may be worth taking a look at too.
Chris
Fletch79
Grafter

Hi Guys,
As yet i'm not sure when it's happening as i haven't been keeping that close an eye on it, so far i have seen tonight and at the weekend
The second post doesn't seem to apply.
What i can say is it has just been happening just now with speeds fluctuating wildly from <100kb/s to ~550kb/s
Looking at my downloads over the last few days the average speeds seem to be all over the place and not the rock steady numbers i got on my old provider
Bright
Grafter

A few diagnostic suggestions to try and eliminate the variables (eg speed of download sites and software). It sounds like you've probably done most of them already, but would be helpful to post the results here so other people can chip in with suggestions:

• Make sure you're doing the speed tests from a computer connected by ethernet to the router, not wifi.

• As you've noted already, make sure nothing else is accessing the internet at the same time.

• Try disabling anti-virus software and see if it makes a difference - several recent posters found it was the cause of significant throughput reductions.

• Run the BTW speed tester, then Further Diagnostics and post the results including your IP profile.

• Post your router's ADSL stats.

• Use one of the standard speed test sites such as speedtest.net to measure performance and post the results. Repeat at suitable intervals to try and capture the variations. Probably easier to post a series of results from the My Results summary page.

• Check latency and jitter by running a test at pingtest.net.

• Set up a TBB quality monitor to monitor the line over a longer period (easier if you have a fixed IP, otherwise you'll need to delete your monitor and set up a new one every time your IP address changes).

Fletch79
Grafter

Alright guys ... i'll get all of that setup - Shame I stopped using my samknows box a few months ago!!
I have just managed to catch it during a very slow moment .... Spedtest.net wouldn't connect
BT speed tester took forever to load and returned
Download of 1.19 and upload of 0.34 with a ping of 39.5
Now compared to my test the other day that was >5 that's fairly poor!
i got the advanced test carried out twice with similar results both times (Image below)
Fletch79
Grafter

PS ... Speed test is now loading fine and is back up to 5.76Mbps
and BT speed tester is back to 5.93
within minutes
Stats
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI:        0/38
DSL Status:          Showtime
DSL Mode:            ADSL2+
DSL Channel:       
DSL Upstream Rate:  443 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 6971 Kbps
                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    4.3 dB      23.8 dB
DSL Attenuation:    45.5 dB      24.9 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  0.0 dBm    13.3 dBm
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

There is something wrong with your line. 0 Kbps on both downstream and upstream from bt speed test result.
Fletch79
Grafter

Just happened again
Againg Speedtest and ping test wouldn't load and BT speed tester initially returned a 0.17Mbps on the line then at stage 3 returned a big fat 0 again
Then within a few minutes it has returned to 'normal' on download but upload still looks a little slow
a ping from the command line to google.co.uk ended with 100% loss
Fletch79
Grafter

I think this was before my Dynamic IP changed
Bright
Grafter

You seem to be getting similar problems to another user (purleigh). Might be worth having a browse back up that thread to see what's been happening to him. Could be totally unrelated, of course, but it rang a bell...
Which gateway are you on?
Which exchange are you on?
Any chance of setting up a new TBB monitor with your current IP?
Either way, I'd suggest raising a fault ticket if you haven't already, at: http://faults.plus.net. The Digital Care team don't generally work weekends so are unlikely to pick up this thread again before Monday.
EDIT: that noise margin of 23.8dB on your modem looks very odd! One of the ADSL experts might want to comment on that...
Fletch79
Grafter

New one already running
Fletch79
Grafter

This section early morning ties up with me losing connection
some of the automated programs i use threw up unable to connect errors at those times!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Upstream noise margin is what you would expect with a capped upstream speed
Bright
Grafter

Ah, thanks for the explanation Jim. Wasn't sure about that.
That TBB graph is looking particularly unhealthy around 10pm last night and 2pm today. The sharp start and end to that period of elevated latency and packet loss look more reminiscent of the problem that originally started the latency thread. Were you doing anything at those times that would be particularly hammering the connection?