cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed at a Crawl

MrMister

Download Speed at a Crawl

Hi
Wondering if any1 can help me.  My download speed has since the past 3 days has gone from a stable 1.5+mb to an unusable 0.13mb.  I never thought it would be possible to upload 3x faster before but that is now actually a reality!
I live within a Market 1 area (up to 2mb here) so am in a privelleged group of those who pay more for less Tongue
Very much in the dark as to what has caused the sudden drop in speeds but I did notice the mention of ip profiles being set as low as 135Kbps if router synchronisation drops in the 'Broadband Speed Faults' sticky.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Download Speed at a Crawl

I assume noise on your line, perhaps weather related, caused your router to lose sync with the exchange with sync being regained in the range 160-256kbps. This leads to an IP Profile of 135kbps.
The sync speed following restarting the router around 30 minutes before your post is 1568kbps which should give an IP Profile of 1250kbps once the automated system reacts - 1 to 2 days for that magnitude of increase.
The IP Profile is the idealised maximum data speed (throughput) on your connection, transmission management overheads mean your actual throughput will be less than that.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MrMister,
your connection is now at 1000k but the SNR on your line is quite high at 16dB. I'd be interested to know how you have it set up. Have a look here for some tips on how to improve your connection.
Jojo Smiley
MrMister

Thanks both for the reply.  The speed has picked up since my post to around 1mb as you say Jo but it's still a bit short of what was attainable a while ago.
I'm sure the problem must lie with the phone line, it crackles quite frequently of late and needs to be moved about or unplugged on some occasions for the connection not to drop.  I believe this is due to the distance of the cable from router to extension socket (not master) which could be as lengthy as 30m  Shocked
We are looking at moving the master socket to where the router is which will eliminate the distance of them both (set up when broadband was originally installed a few years ago) and hopefully this will result in the best possible connection.
Could this soley be the issue for the extreme drop in speed however as I don't remember this happening while on Plusnet before?
Thanks for the help
Regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you not put the router by the master socket and then run a long ethernet cable? If you use CAT 5E you can go up to 100M without any problems. Alternatively how about homeplugs?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrMister

Hi Jelv
I like that solution.  I had never thought of that before to be honest, removing the issue of phone line distance and swapping it for the ethernet.  The master socket is in a small hallway though and I can't see where it would go without being trampled (lots of arguments in this house!).  Again the second solution is new to me and I'm just trying to read up on homeplugs.  Would this mean an end to a wireless network?, as at first glance it seems to me to be an extended wired network of some sort.
Cheers
backtogeek
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
The sync speed following restarting the router around 30 minutes before your post is 1568kbps which should give an IP Profile of 1250kbps once the automated system reacts - 1 to 2 days for that magnitude of increase.

actualy that should be 4 hours on adaptive rate
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A lot of router have slots on the base to allow them to be fixed to the wall which would keep it clear of feet - have you looked at that possibility?
The disadvantage of homeplugs is that you'd need a second power socket near the master socket - your description of it as an extended wired network is pretty accurate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI MrMister,
The high SNR could certainly be caused by the long extension cable. A decrease of just 3dB in SNR can lift your sync by up to 800k.
Jojo Smiley