cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down to 2.6 Mbps

grimples
Grafter

Down to 2.6 Mbps

Unacceptable! I was getting 400KiB/s download 10 days ago & i thought wow! now i can only max 295KiB/s. I have reinstalled windows (for other easons) & updated Ethernet drivers to latest, still no improvement. Not sure what other information you need, sorry, i usually phone PN but i wait several days to see if speeds go back to normal.

12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Down to 2.6 Mbps

see the speed problem sticky at the top of this board

grimples
Grafter

Done all the usual tests, this is why i am posting in here. I have had downages (new word?) before but only for a few days at most. Once i phoned PN & my speed problem was fixed in 5 mins. I'll give it one more week & if it dont go back to 3mb i'll be back.

TY.

(even though it is only 100KiB/s down, it is a quarter of my download speed, it's torture!)

Also the new drivers will not roll back & will not uninstall. I do intend to reinstall windows & i will use the older drivers from MB CD.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi grimples,

I've just SNR reset your line which should hopefully improve your connection speeds over the next 24 hours.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

No idea what SNR is but thankyou.

My max up is 3.19KiB/s, i am using NetMeter to watch my speeds. Just took this, tis easier than typing it all out.

https://postimg.org/image/q0nfnou2d/

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, SNR stands for signal to noise ratio. The noiser the line the higher the SNR needs to be and that implies slower connection speeds, the reverse also applies.

Automated line management (DLM) has most likely noticed some disconnections on your line and increased the SNR hence a reset brings it back into the best operating parameters for the line at the time it's done.

The upstream still sounds very slow, are you connecting over WiFi or ethernet?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

Ethernet. Made no changes to cables or positions of hardware..

grimples
Grafter

It's been a week.

BT Speedtest:  https://postimg.org/image/k9yklbcbd/

If i can get 400KiB/s down before for over week then i should be able to get it all the time, it seems to me something has been done & then undone, i would hate to think someone at PN are playing spiteful over the recent debate over contracts & bills but i am clinically paranoid!

Please help, it's agony as it is browsing at 400KiB/s.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi grimples,

Line tests are showing a line rate of just over 3mpbs so I've set our profile accordingly.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

New test result show 2.45 Mbps. I know it is not my browser as uTorrent gets the same speeds.

(edit)

Your website does not like my browser & i cannot do a test to see what is available in my area. If you can help, what is the next step up in speeds i can get & how much extra will it cost me if i am allowed to upgrade.

Thankyou for you patience.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@grimples

If you wish to see what is available for your phone line, then just enter your phone number at this BT website as this data is that Plusnet use to work out what is available  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telephone?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
grimples
Grafter

Not sure i understand this: https://postimg.org/image/6d628t4f3/

PN website states, which i cannot afford:

Unlimited Fibre

£14.99
per month

• Unlimited Usage Allowance
  • 38Mb - 40Mb download speed (estimated)
  • 1Mb - 2Mb upload speed (estimated)
  • 18-month contract
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Basically VDSL means FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) and shows the estimated speeds.

The checker shows the fastest technology first, so it shows the FTTC then the ADSL results for your line.

The ADSL results show an up to 3Mbps download speed which is not too far off the speed tests of 2.6Mbps. Still slow, I know from personal experience, as my ADSL was only 2.8Mbps

You have already seen the Plusnet FTTC product (Unlimited Fibre) and the list price.

You may be able to get a better deal if you call Plusnet's Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) to see if there's anything they can offer you?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT