cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down 5 days so far, am I in the same black hole as @Kimcopeland?

FIXED
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Down 5 days so far, am I in the same black hole as @Kimcopeland?

Call me a cynic Matthew but I have my doubts that you get/got the full picture back from "Your Supplier", or even anything like it.

I had a call this morning from a member of the Tech Support team who incidentally seemed unaware of your actions. When asked about the changes on Wednesday the information relayed was that BT had "tested" the line and found it "working".

Now, given there was no sync before whatever they did and there was afterwards, but no authentication I struggle to believe either (1) they just did a test and nothing else (2) they know what "working" means to a customer!

It also seems that once BT "handed back" to PN absolutely nothing whatsoever (or nothing effective) was done to verify/correct the status and/or communicate with me!

When was the first "reset" done by PN? Was it before or after Wednesdays changes? And do we know what the original problem was?

HPsauce
Pro

I also noticed, in another thread, references to using test Router/Hub logins to narrow down the location of any authentication issues. Specifically bt_test_user@startup_domain and bt_test_user@plusdsl.net which I am aware of from historical problems but couldn't recall the details. I wasn't asked to try any of these which, in retrospect, seems odd/remiss as I'm sure it was clear to any agent I was talking to that this was well within my competency.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I understand where you're coming from and unfortunately, it does seem to be one of the more complex or odd faults that can happen on ADSL.

Interestingly when I tested your line this morning it indicated that the router was in sync but had no connection to us which is why I decided to try the port reset again.

Unfortunately, I can't see the exact time and date the reset was done as it's not clear from the notes but when the fault is reported it is one of the things the systems carry out automatically.

The BT test logins are certainly nostalgic for people who have been here quite some time such as myself. I don't believe we ask agents to do this anymore due to how rarely it flags a issue but I'll pass the feedback onto the relevant team to see if there's any possibility of making agents aware 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

which I am aware of from historical problems but couldn't recall the details

@HPsauce and I think that's also the problem in CSC. Authentication problems, that arent Plusnet account related, I suspect are quite rare and many CSC agents are probably not aware of the use of test users.

I think there's also some thinking that they're only applicable to ADSL but AFAIK they are still useful for FTTC and even FTTP...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

The BT test logins are certainly nostalgic for people who have been here quite some time such as myself. I don't believe we ask agents to do this anymore due to how rarely it flags a issue..

Yes, testing etc. moves on and agents need processes that narrow down on the most likely scenarios. So I can understand how something that we recall from some years back is now no longer relevant enough to be included in regular diagnostics.

Interestingly when I tested your line this morning it indicated that the router was in sync but had no connection to us 

Indeed, but as I informed your agents several days ago, it's been like that since some time on Wednesday! So you @MatthewWheeler may have "noticed" it, but so did I days ago and specifically informed PlusNet!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@HPsauce  And Plusnet support didn't have a clue what to do about it.☹️

HPsauce
Pro

And PlusNet support didn't have a clue what to do about it.

Yes @RealAleMadrid I think they just escalated it back to BT.

Then this morning @MatthewWheeler presumably picked up on this forum thread and did the Port Reset, so BT were not needed.

I currently have no idea where my actual fault is, might still be sitting with BT, or maybe PN have closed it? Though even if they have, will BT pick up on that? I'm prepared for more BT "Shenanigans" in the next few days and possible further loss of service. 😫

HPsauce
Pro

Just a sort of "FYI" to hopefully wrap this up. I've been stable for quite a while now, which is good. 😎 No follow-up shenanigans.

More intriguingly my router is back to it's "long-term-stable" sync speed of just over 21mbps, which it has currently maintained for over 12 days without a break.

Given that in the run-up to all this nonsense it was regularly degrading to around 70% of that I have to assume that "something" physical was done to my line, but we'll never know what of course........ 🤐

I've also been keeping an eye on the Broadband section of the forum which seems remarkably quiet, maybe because it's summer (ish)?