cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dowload speed sloooowing

monkr

Dowload speed sloooowing

Hello,
When I signed up with plus.net 10 months ago, I got this nice message in an email
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 4.5Mbps
Current line speed: 3.5Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

This was good as it was the exact same speed that I had for 5 years with Pipex. Last October, things slowed down and they were fixed pretty quickly (thanks all  :))
Sadly, it is happening again. My account is now showing...
Estimated line speed:
4Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2010-04-12 19:07:22
Current line speed:
0.35 Mb

I have done a BT speedtest which shows...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 296 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :992 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 256 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

My router stats are...
Up Speed 256000 Down Speed 992000 SNR Margin 13.5 Loop Att. 51.0 (this is way higher than normal)

I have read through the fault guide and checked everything I can here. Any other suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Dowload speed sloooowing

If you've tried everything in the fault guide (did you mean this one?) I think the next step would be to raise a fault using the Broadband Troubleshooter link in the last part of that guide.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The attenuation figure is worth concentrating on, have you tried a different DSL cable (from router to microfilter / BT socket), new microfilter and connecting directly to the 'test' socket behind the faceplate (assuming your master socket has a split faceplate)?  It may also be worth carefully cleaning the ADSL sockets in the microfilter and router AND the telephone test socket & main socket in your master BT faceplate (and corresponding plugs), this can be done with care using a cotton bud and iso-propyl alcohol (or a proprietory, electrically safe cleaner such as 'Electrolube') but please only attempt this if you are confident.  A dirty connection or damaged cable can cause bad attenuation.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
monkr

Thanks for the advice so far.
spraxyt, that is the guide I meant, yes.
I have swapped out cables for various spares that I have sat in cupboards etc, but most of these are old now so a visit to the shops is in order tomorrow before submitting a fault ticket.
As an update, this morning my router connected at 3.7 Mbps (loop att is back down to 34.5), although various speedtests show that I am still only getting an actual 0.35Mbps transfer rate. This ties in with the "Current Line Speed" showing against my account. I am pretty sure that this was the problem last time and one of the Plus.net staff changed something somewhere end and all was good again.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It takes 2 or 3 days for the BT systems to increase your IP Profile after sync speed increases by that magnitude and speed test results will not change until that occurs (and Current line speed increases to match).
Bit of a mystery why attenuation increased for a while, wonder if BT are doing work in the exchange? Has upstream sync speed returned to the normal 448kbps?
David
monkr

I have now been connected at 3.7 Mbps for 3 days, so ran another BT speedtest and got the following results...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 277 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3744 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps

Even though my connection rate is much, much higher, my IP profile is lower than it was 3 days ago,  and still nowhere near where it should be!!
I work from home a lot and this is starting to really hamper my work. Who controls my IP profile, plusnet or BT?
monkr

I submitted a fault ticket last night as 4 days with an unbroken high sync speed and a ridiculously slow IP profile is madness.
From everything I have read, when you resynch to a much higher speed (ie 300%+), the IP profile should increase within a few hours. Maybe mine is stuck????
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi monkr,
Just tweaked your profile, could you disconnect and reconnect please (ideally via your router's interface rather than by powering off and on again) and let us know if it makes any difference? If you could advise of your current sync speed as well that'd be helpful, thanks.
monkr

Matt,
I just popped home and rebooted the router (via the interface, as suggested). It synced at 3500-ish Kbps.
I could not get the BT speedtester to work (I will try again tonight), but I did a couple of other speedtests and was getting download speeds of around 2.8 Mbps, which while not as good as it used to be, is certainly better than the 0.35 Mpbs I have been stuck with recently.
Whatever you tweaked is a move in the right direction and confirms that which we all know - Plus.net staff are awesome!!  Grin