Did you mean: 

Domains and free accounts

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Domains and free accounts

Hi
Am I able to point a domain at a free dial up account?  I'm in the process of getting someone moved over to Plusnet from AOL, but he is being very cautious!  My plan is to sign up for a free dial up account point his domain at Plusnet, set up his mail here, then he wants to make sure everyone knows about his new email address on his domain (his current email is an aol address), then I'd upgrade his dial up account to a broadband account, using his MAC.
Would this work?
Phil
Edit: Spelling!  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Domains and free accounts

Yes, but the system would try to charge £25+VAT for the hosting when we tried adding the domain to our control system. You could register a subscription PAYG Premier dial-up account for a small monthly fee which would have exactly the same hosting/webspace entitlement as a Broadband account and then upgrade this instead? That way you'd be able to host the domain for free (i.e. without haveing to pay the £25+VAT).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Brilliant.  Thanks Bob.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mal0z
Grafter

I have a friend - who unfortunately has just signed up with BT for broadband, and are tied to a 18 month contract.
Apparently - the webspace provided by BT is very small - certainly much less than the 25M offered by PN on the free dialup package.
Could someone with the PN dialup package access their dialup webspace via their BT or other ISP broadband, or does it have to be done on the dialup account ?.