Up 1151944
Down 7512000
SNR Margin 12
Loop Att. 32
BT Wholesale says
Down: 5.37
Up: 0.65
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com say that up to 8.5 Down for ADSL2+
with the Plusnet Router I am sure I was getting over 7Mb down?
I was actually getting less than this with the Draytek but fitted Interstatial plate which has improved things.
I have 1Master + 1Extension up in home office and router has to be on extension along with the office phone.
I can test down at the test socket tomorrow now but can anyone comment on above?
TIA!

13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Does this seem acceptable?

It would appear that the default noise margin has increased from 6dB to 12dB which isn't good
You should be getting over 13Mbps sync speed
cpcnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What would increase the noise margin?
I have CAT5 UTP for the extension and besides was getting better with the PN router?
I tried a live chat with PN and the tech just said "your touter is faulty" lol!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Too many disconnections when you were changing routers etc, perhaps
How many wires have you connected from the master to the extension
Joshc
Grafter

Good evening,
@cpcnw
I have had a look at the situation.
When your SNR is set at 6db it looks like you are experiencing quite a few errors and dropouts.
The SNR will automatically increase to stabilise the connection to correct the errors and dropouts. However this will affect your speeds.
You can try eliminating the errors by using your test socket and if that doesn't help then raise a fault.
Smiley
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

When you make your test using the test socket tomorrow I suggest you also test the plusnet router and compare speeds v their respective noise margins.
Expensive routers may have more bells and whistles but aren't necessarily faster Wink
Please ensure you leave a connection up for at least half an hour before disconnecting and only do two or three in the day, otherwise you risk BT's equipment intervening and further reducing your speed.
Good luck, please let us know the result.
cpcnw
Rising Star

Will be doing the tests in the next hour or so. Have just noticed however that in the router interface;
ATM Statistics
TX Cells: 521919
RX Cells: 668750
TX CRC errs: 0
RX CRC errs: 24782
The bottom stat [RX CRC Errs] seems to increase all on its own without any data being transferred to the PC?
I assume that even though I am not receiving any Ethernet frames there are other data / atm control signals that
are being sent / received with errors?
Related: https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_linefaults.html
cpcnw
Rising Star

Quote from: npr
Good luck, please let us know the result.

Ok so it got so bad this evening when the Draytek actually was dropping the connection on the extension I unplugged everything and went down to the test socket.
Annoyingly the PN supplied router [Technicolor] gets me 6.26MB DL / 0.97 UL
I then tried the Draytek 2830VN+ and get 4.92 DL / 0.63 UL
I have the latest f/w on the Draytek and this is what the router i/f is reporting
Up             Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
1135828    6936000                12   32
another interesting observation is that it is very foggy and damp outside. I am going to check the two BT boxes [on on wall next to house and one on front garden wall] outside tomorrow and see what the connections are like.
Apart from that I am pretty annoyed that my expensive router is being trounced by a freebie. Its especially annoying as I have only just setup my voip account with draytel which was working great....

cpcnw
Rising Star

OK this just twisted my melon further. I reset the QOS to factory default [I had set these up to favour VOIP] and am now getting ;
6.28 DL / 0.96 UL however the SNR etc is same as previous post.
So, the next thing to test would be the upper BT socket and extension wiring I guess as it seems the extension isn't helping and the Draytek doesn't like being on it....
cpcnw
Rising Star

Think I might be getting somewhere!!!
So, the previous scenario was this ;
Master Socket -> iPlate ---------> Filter ---> Phone
                     |
                     |
                      ----> Extension ---> Dumb Socket ---> Filter ---> Router + Phone
I discovered that what I thought was CAT5 for the extenion is in fact just stamped grey cable with straight through copper pairs in Organge / Orange+White, Blue etc
After testing in the Test socket and getting good results I have changed to this scenario
                                                 ^
                                                 |
                                                 |
                                                 ----> Extension ---> Dumb Socket ---> Double Adapter ----> Router
                                                                                                                           |
                                                                                                                           |
                                                                                                                            ----> Filter ---> Phone
In this scenario I am getting 6.27Mb DL / 0.97 UL which is as good as the master socket. I may in the next few days try changing the extenion to UTP as well as making a UTP / RJ11 lead for the router. Lets see how that goes.... as I havent rebooted my Draytek router since plugging in the filter / phone I am crossing my fingers that the performance will remain as above!
npr
Pro

Good to see you're making headway.
I'm surprised the most recent scenario made a difference, it shouldn't because the broadband filter has a straight through connection to it's router socket -- it's only the phone socket in the filter which is actually filtered.
I have sometimes found it helps to use a double filter on DECT phones -- however the router must be in the first filter the phone in the second.
Have you tried disconnecting the ring wire to your extension sockets?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
cpcnw
Rising Star

>it's only the phone socket in the filter which is actually filtered
I know it doesn't make any sense. In fact some time ago I changed the phone in the office because it seemed to be causing issues with the connection. It didnt cross my mind to try the above.
>Have you tried disconnecting the ring wire to your extension sockets?
Have the iPlate, which I am told is 'slightly better' than disconnnecting wire 3?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The ring wire needs to be disconnected at both ends (it can act as an aerial) so with an iPlate it still needs to be disconnected at the other.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
npr
Pro

Disconnecting the ring wire, at both ends, is far better than sticking a choke on the end of it.