cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it mean increase in Download Speed?

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Does it mean increase in Download Speed?

On October 25th Adam Walker said in Plus Net Service Status email that:
"We will shortly be increasing the capacity of our 21CN host links by 3900Mbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to the majority of customers on our 21CN and Fibre services".
Does this mean that we, on 21CN, shall be getting faster download speeds?  If that is the case, would it also given better IP profile than I am currently on?
Perhaps, Adam may wish to elaborate on the above.
Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Does it mean increase in Download Speed?

Sorry to disappoint, but what that does is increase the bandwidth we all share to avoid congestion on the links - like building an extra lane or two on a motorway. On uncongested motorways it wouldn't mean individuals can travel any faster.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The increase in central capacity will not increase your maximum download speed but it should reduce the risk of slowdown during busy periods due to congestion on the main Plusnet network.  Please bear in mind that Plusnet network capacity does not necessarily prevent congestion issues at your local exchange but the increase in capacity is a good thing for all customers as the number of customers and their demand for internet services (particularly things like video streaming) increases.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

To use the roads analogy, what controls your maximum download speed is the "local roads" to your exchange and how long the road is. Putting an extra lane in the motorway is like putting in extra connections from Plusnet to the www.
So unless someone puts in a straighter road to the exchange (a shorter cable) or your own motorway to the exchange (Fibre) you won't go faster.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you all for the clarification.  I was so excited that my download speed may increase!!! But, alas, it is not to be.
Great analogy of the motorway lane/s and local roads.
Guys you all have been very helpful.  Thanks again.