cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have experience of WiFi Internet Radios ?

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Does anyone have experience of WiFi Internet Radios ?

I am seriously thinking of buying a pc independent WiFi internet radio to connect to my wireless router but before I do .......
Has anyone used one of these and do they actually work ?
Of course, I often listen to radio on my computer already, and I assume that an internet radio will do the same job, but without needing to turn the pc on before I can listen.
There is further reason to my madness. I have a house in France with no television (by choice, hurrah !), and therefore no UK radio except Radio 4 on longwave, when the cricket is not on.  I have internet access using dial-up which is just adequate (using Onspeed to boost download speed), and have not signed up to broadband there yet, because the cost is prohibitive by comparison with the UK - there is little or no competition.
However, if I could get the BBC radio stations using an internet radio, then I suppose I could probably justify installing broadband after all (but it would still hurt !). 
To make it worthwhile, I would like to be able to plug the internet radio into my stereo set using the headphone jack.  I do that in order to watch DVDs on the laptop, and the resulting sound quality is good, so I assume that the result with an internet radio would be the same.
So can anyone let me know from experience whether these internet radio devices work satisfactorilly ?
Many thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
lazydog
Dabbler

Re: Does anyone have experience of WiFi Internet Radios ?

try one of these...  http://www.rokulabs.com/products_soundbridge.php
have been using one for nearly a year now - best thing I've bought for a long while  Grin  internet radio excellent
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

TVM - will go ahead and buy one.
palantir

Greetings shermans
I tried a Tevion ( or could be a Medion) from Aldi, and the audio was excellent quality, but I was unable listen to any of the more popular stations, as they were constantly over-subscribed, then the thing hung-up when trying to update the station list:
It was so frustrating that I took it back next day!
Good thing Aldi have a returns policy
Pete