cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else get no broadband service at all?

andyhayes

Does anyone else get no broadband service at all?

I used to get 1.6mbps with my previous provider, Fuel Broadband, but I started experiencing problems with the line and their customer service was a bit rubbish, so I switched to PlusNet thinking their customer service would be better and they would push Openreach to resolve my issues better.  3 months later, and this has proven to be a bit of a misconception, I now have no download broadband at all, occasionally it does run up to dizzying speeds of 0.15mbps, but that is very rare.
According to the many BT engineers that have been out, it is because the old aluminium cable supplying my property over a long run has degraded and can not support BB any longer.  I find that a bit hard to believe as it does quite often achieve a 1mbps upload speed over the same line, suggesting the line can support those speeds, as it has done for the last 3 years with Fuel Broadband.  I also blame my line config to some degree as well, as my nearby neighbours get 1mbps using the same set of lines!
I do believe though that if Openreach replaced the old Aluminium cable with new copper cable that the situation would be resolved.
Does anyone have experience of Openreach performing the necessary work in this kind of scenario?
Thanks,
Andy
5 REPLIES 5
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Does anyone else get no broadband service at all?

Well I know nothing but it might help with the discussion if you read this and post  some numbers Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Did you report as a fault to plusnet and what did they say when closing your ticket.
Which part of the country are you in?
andyhayes

Hi Cedlor,
Thanks for your reply.
I've had an open ticket for 2 months with plusnet support now and they are just not willing or able to put the required pressure on Openreach to fix the cable and have suggested I cancel my contract, which feels like a cop out to me, and the easy route out.  That would leave me with no prospect of Broadband ever though as Openreach are never going to fix it if I have no provider.
It seems unreal that in 2015 you are unable to get even basic broadband when everyone else is getting 5 - 30 mbps.
I am near Halifax.
cedlor
Grafter

I almost know how you feel I cringe every time I read UP TO 17Mb  My line will only ever be capable of 7MB and with my current problem PN have reduced the speed put on interleaving
and during the day most days I get around 3-4 if lucky so no gaming and no big downloads here even iplayer is a challenge.. They should have price banding so they only get paid for what we can get  - say up to 4 then up to 7 then up to 12.
No one is interested though as they want everyone on fibre!  Would that be available to you or would the last run of aluminium cripple that as well?
andyhayes

This is going to sound disrespectful, and I don't mean it that way, but until you have tried living with between 0 - 0.15 mbps for the last 3 months, you don't really understand my pain.
I would be happy if I could even just get 1mbps.  I really don't think I am asking too much in 2015 for 1mbps.
Not a chance of fibre as my run to the cabinet is about 7 - 8 km, even though there is a cabinet about half that distance away, but Openreach won't connect me to that cabinet as that would be too much like putting the customer before profits
andyhayes

Have you noticed how PlusNet support daren't comment on their performance on my issue!!
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin