cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody have a link to Retrain Reason codes?

Cathotel
Grafter

Does anybody have a link to Retrain Reason codes?

Hi,
I searched various forums but swamped with folks posted router stats, but does anyone have a link to any document/site that explains what Retrain Reason: 0, 1, 2, 8000 etc actually mean?
It's probably a dumb question and been asked before, so apologies if it has!
Pete
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Does anybody have a link to Retrain Reason codes?

That's not something I've heard of I'm afraid, do they only show on a particular brand of router? Where is it you're seeing the message?
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi Matt,
If you telnet in to various routers that support it and do an xdslcmd info --show you get a whole string of data most of which makes sense, but on ADSL, ADSL2 and others I've seen various Retrain Reasons as per the one in red and have witnessed, a value of 0 , 2 and 8000 in the past.
I'm imagining it's something to do with a re-training condition but on my old ADSL2 line it was permanently on 8000.  On my new service I've seen it at 0 and 2 which it currently is.
If I Google it then I see millions of examples of what I've just posted Smiley
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 2
Max:    Upstream rate = ?? Kbps, Downstream rate = ?? Kbps
Path:  0, Upstream rate = ?? Kbps, Downstream rate = ?? Kbps
Regards,
Pete
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm. A quick google has found this post on the thinkbroadband site: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4069505-more-fttc-line-stats.html
Not sure about reason 8000, but it looks like reason 2 is a loss of framing which is I believe something to do with the equipment at the exchange.
Cathotel
Grafter

Cheers Matt,
I will sign up for incompetance at Googling  Embarrassed
That sheds some light and especially as my line status is No Defect, I wonder if this is a historic code, i.e. the reason it last retrained was down to a Loss of Framing. Nice that the post relates to the modem I'm looking at!
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
It was 0 when first saw it and I re-booted it and I got a slightly higher sync rate and BT profile but it is on 2 now but totally stable.
Once again thankyou..
Pete