cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Skype = good wireless router

got2getatan
Grafter

Does Skype = good wireless router

Have a laptop that is used about 30 metres / 2 walls from plus net router and an iPad 15 metres away / 2 walls. When I had the BT Hub I did not have any problems with the Skype, breaking up and rubbish audio but since joining Plusnet in May this year the problem started. Speed in the sticks here has always been disappointing . Options pay off Plusnet and go back to BT. Get a better router or try one of these power line kits which I don't know much about.  Going to spend money what ever I do. What does anyone recommend. Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Does Skype = good wireless router

Have you still got the home hub?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Just use the BT HomeHub if you still have it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend using powerline adaptors to extend the range of your wired network by using your house mains wiring to get ethernet sockets into the rooms where you use your wireless devices.  Then in those rooms, either add a powerline wireless adaptor, or get cheap wireless access points which plug into the powerline's ethernet socket.
got2getatan
Grafter

Have the old BT Hub somewhere but at present using the Plusnet issued router.  Although I don't know much about these power line range extenders there seem to be a lot advertised. Just wondered if I get two would they work on my house wiring and which type would you recommend. Must admit I never thought of  using the BT Hub, thought it would not be compatible.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Depends on the model. Check out this article.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: got2getatan
Just wondered if I get two would they work on my house wiring and which type would you recommend

I recommend the ones in the links in my previous post.
I use about a dozen Devolo 200AV powerline adaptors of varying models.
Just plug them in, connect your ethernet cable, press the encryption button to secure your connection, job done.
The most difficult part about them is getting the cellophane off the retail packaging to open the box !.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've been very happy with the TP-Link ones.
got2getatan
Grafter

TA thanks for all the advice. Will dig out and check the BT Hub but am leaning towards the power line extender.
fiscelan
Grafter

Had 1 of my TP-Link adaptor that broke up after 6 months of usage only. I've sent it back to the reseller for exchange...
got2getatan
Grafter

When I was with Plusnet a few years ago, I changed to BT simply because the Plusnet router and I tried two, wasn't too good for wireless working within my house and the BT Hub looked a good bet and was. BT is ok until you have a problem and have to sort it out with the overseas call centres .  So I am back with Plusnet and wondered if this Technicolour Router is anything to shout about  and does it suit most  for wireless working. My old BT hub 1 might be a bit iffy to use on this network .
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Using a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC

That also applies to the home hub 4. Note home hub 1 is locked to BT Retail.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to buy modem/routers WITHOUT wireless capability.
It is quite unlikely that most people will be able to position a single combined (modem+router+wireless) unit in the optimum position to get the best broadband (i.e. next to the phone master socket) and at the same time be in the optimum position for wireless coverage.
Having the modem next to the master phone socket will always be the best position to give optimum broadband performance.
With separate wireless access points, they can be positioned in the best locations within the rooms where they will be used.
If you really want better performance then multiple wireless access points can improve throughput, as the wireless devices don't have to share the same wireless channel bandwidth.
Separate units also makes upgrading easier, if you change your modem for a better model or switch to fibre, then you don't have to go through all this worrying about wireless coverage lark, because it will already be done and working with no need to change.
Modem/routers without wireless are often significantly cheaper than their all in one bigger brothers, so you can either save the money (for a wireless access point) or buy a better modem (for the same money).
got2getatan
Grafter

When you talk about wireless access points are you talking about devices that are plugged in around the property such as the netgear universal wireless adapter.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

A wireless access point is a device that is (usually) connected to your router by ethernet cable (or alternatively homeplugs). The laptops etc then connect wirelessly to that.