Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SN Margin change automatically?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Does SN Margin change automatically?

Hi all
Does this particular margin change on it's own after about a week or so? And if it does, does the router automatically re-boot itself for the new stats?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Does SN Margin change automatically?

The SNR margin will renegotiate based on line conditions, errors and line quality are the important ones. The router wouldn't reboot, it'd be a PPP (authentication) drop and connect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Thanks Chris.
And for some reason, after about 10/11 days, the stats. showed that the uptime has resetted and the SN Margin has gone down from about 9dB to 6.3dB.
There was, it seemed, just one instance of Loss of Signal and it's showing at the moment. I've usually got a pretty stable line and I'm wondering if the whole thing'll happen again after every 10 days or so.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: Cagney1994
the SN Margin has gone down from about 9dB to 6.3dB.
... I've usually got a pretty stable line and I'm wondering if the whole thing'll happen again after every 10 days or so.

If the line has been stable, DLM may have reduced the SNR in order to try and give you more speed.
The higher the SNR, the lower the speed. But with lower SNR the connection could drop more. I believe DLM will alter the SNR to find the sweet spot where the line is stable at the highest speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Wish my DLM would lower the SNR margin, with only 17 ES a day, but it seems stuck at high margin. Can you prod?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Prodded, reset that back down to 6db.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Chris
The router wouldn't reboot, it'd be a PPP (authentication) drop and connect.

When my SNR target has been changed, either by DLM or by Plusnet manually, it has caused the DSL to disconnect and reconnect.  I don't see how it can be otherwise, since that is the only way the sync speed can change.