Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ADSL2+ have a training period?

AlanAtHome
Grafter

Hi all
I ask this as I was on ADSL and my noise margin went to 15db due to a local problem (bad phone socket connection). It had started to come down but a router problem sent it back to 15db. When I asked about ADSL2+ I assumed there was a 10 day training period. But it seems I went from ADSL to ADSL2+ with the 15db noise margin.
is there any hope of this coming down?
Thanks
Alan
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Does ADSL2+ have a training period?

Yes there is a 10-day training period on ADSL2+
The noise margin is there to protect the connection so it would only change if the physical condition of the line were to change. Too low and the line might go intermittent, too high and it would affect the achievable speeds. So after the training period it will be set to the most stable rate for that line.
Jojo Smiley
AlanAtHome
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Yes there is a 10-day training period on ADSL2+

does the training period start with the current ADSL1 noise figure or start from 6db?
mine just stayed at 15db
Quote from: Joanne
The noise margin is there to protect the connection so it would only change if the physical condition of the line were to change.

as I said, I had two local problems both have been rectified, my lines noise figure had gone down to 9db between problems. I have remained connected for 15 days with no reduction in noise margin.
Alan
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I would have thought it might have been reset but if it has stayed at 15 then I would imagine this is to prevent problems arising from the transition from 20cn-21cn. I'm not 100% sure about that though. The fact that there was a 15dB margin on ADSL would probably have been for a good reason. Even if it was reset the chances are it would have crept up within a week, anyway.
Jojo Smiley
AlanAtHome
Grafter

Thanks for quick reply Jo
but as I said in op the two problems were on my premises.
1. a faulty phone socket that I replaced ---  noise margin began to drop, got to 9 from 15. Then
2. a router firmware problem causing resets --- again cured but margin had jumped to 15
before the noise margin had time to reduce I was switched to ADSL2+
would it be possible to have the noise margin reset, as the problems I had were cured, and give the ADSL2+ a chance to find its own level.
Alan
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll check that out for you in the morning, Alan.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Alan,
SNR resets are not always possible on 21CN and if they are then it's not as simple as it is on the 20CN. You could raise a fault http://faults.plus.net detailing the issue and explaining that you have been upgraded and the margin has stayed the same, also explaining that you have had a stable connection for over a week. I'm not sure exactly how much they will be able to help you but it may be worth a try.
Jojo Smiley