Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think there is some interference somewhere

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you think there is some interference somewhere

Just had a 90 minute power cut and router reboot gave these stats (default noise margin is 6dB)
Noise Margin:     5.3   dB
Connection Rate:  5536  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 51.0  dB
Power:            19.5  dBm
Max Rate:         5824  Kbps

A few minutes later and the noise margin dropped to 2.8dB which is about where it is now
So is it fair to suggest that somewhere between me and the exchange there is some electrical equipment or indeed power lines throwing out some interference - I think the the power cut covered the first couple of miles of the connection

6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Do you think there is some interference somewhere

Since (I assume) it's quite wet it's possible that water has affected joints in telephone cable runs. Are BT working in the neighbourhood, or utility contractors digging big holes in the vicinity of telephone circuits.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I should have been clearer
My normal speed is circa 4800kbps which is better than the estimate on Kitz site but just when a number of electrical items may not have got going I suddenly had a much faster speed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Sorry, hadn't realised the point of your question.
I suspect you are right about something electronically noisy affecting your broadband connection - presumably 24x7. Finding the source is not easy though. Kitz information http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm.
Has this ever 'disappeared' for a while, eg when local business closed for holidays?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Nope
Which is why I suspect that it is a powerline transformer somewhere as the power wouldn't come on all the same time but would be sequenced to avoid a large load spike
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's interesting. Makes you wonder just how much interference lines pick up as a matter of course and what connection speed you would get if you could just flick a switch and turn off everyone else's power.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Our local council recently turned off a lot of streetlights (about 50% in residential streets and more on other roads between here and the exchange), I'm now wondering if this might give some people a better overnight SNR margin particularly as the underground telephone lines must run alongside the streetlight power cables in many areas.
I can't get Routerstats running properly on my current router or I might have more insight on this.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.