cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you get dial-up with a broadband account?

Laser
Grafter

Do you get dial-up with a broadband account?

I've been a legacy PAYG 2GB customer for a few years, which probably explains why I can't recall if this was in any sign-up info...  Huh
Since the broadband only works on the one line that BT hook up to the exchange I can't use it to access the net if I go elsewhere (family/friend's house, etc.). I know if there's a suspected fault with the BB you get a dial-up backup number, but is one available for everyday use that would associate with my account? If so, is it free, charged at lo-call rates, full rate, etc?
There are (used to be, anyway) one or two dial-up numbers from ISPs that don't require any signing up, and I've got an old account with another ISP that I keep alive, but these wouldn't allow me to directly access things like my email as if I'm hooked into PlusNet.
13 REPLIES 13
Mand
Grafter

Re: Do you get dial-up with a broadband account?

Hi there,
All Broadband accounts have 0845 dialup access included, on 08451400101 for Plusnet visp customers.
When your line gets a fault you get specific 0808 access which means you don't have to pay for the calls.
Laser
Grafter

Thanks Mand!  Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Worth noting that if you do connect via dialup, I believe it will disconnect your ADSL for the duration of the call.
B.
paulby
Grafter

Barry
I think if you connect via dial-up PN's systems will try to assign the same IP address as is allocated to the broadband connection (particularly if you have a static IP - I may be wrong though!).  This is what will cause issues if both are connected.
If I need to use a dial-up connection for short periods I tend to use UKU - no account needed and is fine for the short spells that I've needed a dial-up when away from home (and doesn't cause my wife any probs using broadband).
The other option would be a free dial-up account from PN.
Laser
Grafter

Can a member of staff confirm what the behaviour is here? If it wont work while the BB is connected, that would be a real pain if you'd left the router on.
I'd assumed it would just be a standard dynamic-IP dial-up.
James
Grafter

You wouldn't be able to get any data transfer if you were connected to Plusnet Dialup and Plusnet Broadband at the same time, as it would assign you the same IP Address.
You'd be able to use any other dialup supplier at the same time though.  You'd be able to get a free dialup connection from pretty much anywhere.
Mand
Grafter

If you regularly will need to use 0845 access whilst retaining connectivity at home I'd suggest a free PAYG account to use whilst on your travels. It's the same number, you'd just get a different username and password.
It would still be a PN connection though, so you'd still be able to do things such as collect mail for your home account, or access your webspace.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You could still POP your PN mail (if you don't want to Webmail it), whoevers dialup you may be using (as long as you've got the correct server name set up). The difficulty comes when you want to send. You'd need to use webmail if you wished to keep to your normal PN e-mail address as the sender and then you've got the 'captcha' to do! If you don't mind a different sender e-mail address, you can always set your reply/return address as you normal PN e-mail address.
ramidoodle
Grafter

if you have a broadband account (subscription account) you will be able to send through plusnet SMTP servers using non-ssl password authentication Smiley
this will be your member centre login details.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah! Good point, forgot about that.
Ianwild
Grafter

You should be able to connect on the Plusnet 0845 number above with the username and password 'signup' and 'signup', provided you don't withhold your caller line ID.
That way, you are connected to our network, but not with your account details.
Ian
Laser
Grafter

Whew! Crazy
It seems there are many options to get something to more or less work.

Re. the SMTP-AUTH feature - Is there a reason why this doesn't accept encrypted password details? It seems a little unsafe to be transmitting my top-level account user/pass in the clear. Or is it actually the mailbox user/pass I'm supposed to use?
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi,
it's unencrypted password auth, should be your member centre login (which is the same as your default mailbox one).
I don' think that someone would be intercepting the connection unless you have a trojan/backdoor on your pc  Smiley
Should be ok to use it from dial up to send email as long as you are using your broadband account details.