cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you always have the same sync speed on ADSL2+?

sinewave
Grafter

Do you always have the same sync speed on ADSL2+?

On ADSLmax every time the router is rebooted it will sync at a different speed then before. One might notice a range of speeds perhaps between the upper 4Mbps and lower 5Mbps but it would be typical to notice small differences of sync speed for every re-boot.
My question:
Is this sort of sync behaviour the same for ADSL2+?
My sync speed is always exactly the same figure on ADSL2+. It does not matter when I reboot or what I do. Its like I have a fixed, set router sync speed. (FWIW its 4544)
I've been having problems recently and I'm wondering whether this behaviour I see, is a "symptom".
TIA
16 REPLIES 16
sladkart
Grafter

Re: Do you always have the same sync speed on ADSL2+?

The BT Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system has decided your line is unstable and put it on a 'banded' profile.  See here for more info - http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/dynamic-line-management-dlm-on-adsl2/
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've asked one of the faults guys to pick up your ticket again sinewave, we should have some more information shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
timb27uk
Dabbler

My downstream sync speed is also fixed at the same value - If it was even just a bit faster, I'd go from a 3500 to a 4000 profile and be able to stream BBC HD  Grin
Any adjustments (upwards!) gratefully received  Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
You're on a banded profile, I've asked to see if we can get this removed for you. No promises, but hopefully we can get this done.
timb27uk
Dabbler

Many thanks, Mand!
biggles
Dabbler

I also seem to be locked at a low sync speed - I was up at around 7Mb/s until a few weeks ago, when I think there was a blip for a few hours. Now seems to be stuck at 3.5Mb/s with a 15+ db margin.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That banded profile is still apparent on the line, though as its top end is at ~6Mb we can't request removal until you're maintaining a stable connection at that speed unfortunately. I can see you've got a fault raised, we should be able to get some more information once that's been processed for you.
biggles
Dabbler

Not sure I understand you - maintaining a stable connection at what speed - 3.5 Mb/s ? Connection is stable at this low speed and high margin for many days at a time. Any breaks are now the result of me switching my router off...
How long does a connection need to be stable for before banding is removed?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not too long - but as I said above, you need to have a stable connection with a sync speed at the top end of the banded profile (i.e. at 6Mb).
biggles
Dabbler

But as I mentioned, I now seem to get a fixed 3.5 Mb/s - it won't connect at 6Mb/s, even though the margin implies it should be at higher than 3.5?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well I've just had a look on BTs systems and the target SNR is set to 6dB - I'm not sure therefore why you're only connecting at 15dB. Is there a setting in the router to adjust the SNR perhaps?
If you do connect at the lower SNR there's a much better chance that you'll be able to lose that banded profile.
biggles
Dabbler

yes, I used to connect at 6dB before the problem.
No, I don't think my router can set the margin - it's a Netgear DG834Gv2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you installed any custom firmware (DGTeam or something like)? The option is available in those. Alternatively I think you can use routerstats to set the SNR from the router.
Given that the exchange is set to 6dB the 15dB you're connecting at has to be something at your end of things I'm afraid.
biggles
Dabbler

no, a plain vanilla Netgear router. I believe that RouterStats can change the SNR on recent router models, but not on mine.
I've not changed any settings on my end, not that there are any settings that can be changed...