cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

You maybe interested in this one of eBay.  It's slightly cheaper
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301053628441
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ScottJames
Grafter

That price does look really good. The only problem I have is that I need to get it here for Monday as the engineer is coming on Tuesday. I don't really want to set everything up with the plusnet router and then swap it out with the BT hub, as I don't think it would be good for the connection would it?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Buy either. If it comes after the installation then disconnect the wall cable from the modem and put the wall cable into the hub 5 then follow instructions to post 1 on this thread.
My engineer was fussy about home hubs on plus net he said u had to use pn router.  But I swapped anyway after he'd gone.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ScottJames
Grafter

So unplugging the router won't cause an issue with the line speed to start with?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

When the engineer has done the installation.  And the router comes after or before ( I would recommend letting the engineer install the modem)
Connect your computer to the router and open up a browser and put in address bar http://192.168.1.254 the routers configuration page.
The credentials are I think Admin and password is under the router beginning with CP
Go to DSL then disconnect the connection.  Disconnect everything.
Plug the RJ11 cable that used to go into the modem into the hub 5 grey DSL port not the red port.
Then follow steps to post 1.
A simpler option is just disconnect the router and modem and plug hub 5 and connect the rj11 cable.  Disconnecting via browser is not necessary.
PM me if you get stuck
ScottJames
Grafter

Well I have just managed to get a brand new HH5 on eBay. Hopefully it will turn up Tuesday or Wednesday.
OK. So when the engineer turns up I don't think I will mention the HH5, and just let him install the modem and everything else, and then take it from there.
Thanks for the walk through NorthEasterner, and I might just have to take you up on that PM  Grin
jimbof
Grafter

Does anyone know if HH5 will receive firmware updates if used on Plusnet or any other non-BT-retail ISP?
There were updates for example on Christmas Day or therabouts, and undoubtedly more to come.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Home-hub-5-firmware-Update/td-p/1119530
I don't believe there is any option to manually update the firmware.
Details of the current firmware versions are here:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13073/~/how-can-i-check-the-firmware-version-on-my-bt...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Mine was updated on 22nd Dec to the latest firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6
No I don't think it will update on non BT broadband services.  As I believe it's delivered via BT broadband
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I haven't had the HH5 update, but I got at least two updates to my HH4 in the last year.
jimbof
Grafter

I just picked up a HH5 for £25 via Gumtree (bargain) to play with the 5GHz wifi.
Pretty impressive - getting 15MB /sec to my microserver, though I think I've seen the 2.4GHz wifi stall on my android phone a couple of times.
Jaggies - so you received HH4 updates via the router connected to Plusnet's network?  I wonder what the mechanism actually is as I was under the impression the updates don't go out all in one go.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you have a look in  the Event Log in the TR069 category you'll see it logging in to Motive, like this: [tt]CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username[/tt]. This is the router checking for updates.
jimbof
Grafter

Thanks, so it does.  
I'd love to know how this works in a bit more detail as those domain names don't actually resolve via Plusnet DNS.
Does the router first connect to somewhere else before making the PPPOE connection to Plusnet?

I see the entry is actually truncated in the log and ends .motive.com Smiley
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

The home hub 5 will receive the firmware updates i purchased mine back in november and used on plusnet FTTC and received a firmware up on 22/12/2013  BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 | Last updated 22/12/13
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I see the hub 5 and 4 receive FW updates on plusnet.
That is good. It must be acquiring updates via Internet and not on the BT line.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Im not sure what the latest firmware fixes though can't seem to find any info on the latest release.