cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

jimbof
Grafter

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

Indeed, the version number doesn't even seem to be listed on the BT firmware page.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Sometimes takes BT a few weeks to update their website
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
jimbof
Grafter

I just built a tiny box out of an old TPLINK TL-MR3020 mini-router running openWRT to act as a ping responder (as home hub can't do WAN ping) by connecting it wired to the homehub (powered over USB) and setting it to the DMZ.  As I've set up the HH5 for VDSL duties at the moment I will be interested to see how it behaves under close observation and whether any better / worse.
jimbof
Grafter

Just found this app which can graph line stats from an unmodified HH5.  Hope it is useful to some of you Smiley
http://vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm
jimbof
Grafter

My HH5 updated to the .6 version within a day of connection to Plusnet it seems.
It downloaded the update around 10am but looks like it was waiting for a quiet time to reboot.  I rebooted it from the web UI and it did the update.
Can't see any improvement from the update, seems no-one knows what the update is for.
I am lukewarm on this router.  I think the 2.4GHz is actually nothing special at all (in fact, I think slower than the TG582N in the same location), but the 5GHz is extremely fast for bulk transfers (I've seen as high as 30MB/sec - no joke - to my little microserver from the macbook).  The macbook has failed to connect to the 2.4GHz a few times (particularly if you have been connected to the 5GHz previously it seems).  No WAN ping response option is annoying but I've dealt with that.
That said, it is nice have an all-in-one box consuming less power and mains sockets, and it was dirt cheap for a simultaneous dual band router with VDSL, plus the ability to monitor a limited set of linestats without hacking the box is cool. 
nadger
Rising Star

HH4 arrived and working  Smiley
Early days so will play some more.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

i would recommend that you name the 5ghz something like
BTHub5-J7H4_5GHz
and the 2.4GHz just BTHub5-J7H4
The SSID is fictional all i've done is added an underscore and 5GHz to represent the 5GHz band.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
jimbof
Grafter

Yeah I did that - any idea what the logic is as to why it is a good idea though?  Just so you know which you are connected to?
Krazeh
Grafter

Does the HH5 support ipv6?
jimbof
Grafter

No IPV6 yet.  There are some screens for it but it just states
"IPv6 Configuration
IPv6 Configuration is not currently enabled as your BT Home Hub and/or BT Broadband Network are not enabled for IPv6"
and again for IPV6 pinholes:
"IPv6 Pinholes
IPv6 Pinholes are not currently enabled as your BT Home Hub and/or BT Broadband Network are not enabled for IPv6"
Krazeh
Grafter

Hmm, that's a bit of a let down. Would quite like a single box solution for FTTC with gigabit Ethernet but don't want to lose ipv6 functionality.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jimbof
IPv6 Configuration is not currently enabled as your BT Home Hub and/or BT Broadband Network are not enabled for IPv6"

Unless you are on the IPv6 trial you don't know if the router is IPv6 ready or not. I'd be astounded if it wasn't. If someone would like to lend me one I'll tell you if it works or not on an IPv6 enabled connection!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jimbof
Yeah I did that - any idea what the logic is as to why it is a good idea though?  Just so you know which you are connected to?

It supposed to separate the bands apart as mine used to cause interference and my WiFi would keep disconnecting and reconnecting to the different bands.
5GHz covers all of my house so I use the laptop on the 5GHz band and it doesn't know the 2.4GHz band.
Smartphones connect to 5GHz band and get's wifi all over house.  There is only a few devices on the 2.4GHz band, iPod touch, Sky boxes (via a connector from Sky) and 1 iPhone.
jimbof
Grafter

jelv - I see what you mean, in that case I don't know if IPV6 is actually supported by the router or not as I am not on the trial.  There is no way of it manually being set to do any IPV6 stuff though, so it must be all automatic if it does support.  The wording of the onscreen message suggests the hub isn't compatible though.
I think I'm probably going to just use this as a cheap, fast dual-band AC access point and go back to my homebrew router; one thing which is annoying me is the random allocation to a plusnet gateway which is measurably slower latency-wise than the others (I had a script on my openWRT box to drop and reconnect if it got one of those connections).  I've also seen some wired performance weirdness - yesterday my wired speedtests to thinkbroadband were capped at 20megabits/sec while WIFI was fine, as were wired connections to other speedtest sites and my microserver (it was like some QOS engine in the router had gone wrong).  Reboot fixed it.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My HH5 updated itself a couple of days ago - now on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 | Last updated 05/01/14.