cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

BOWLER

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

I've tried to follow this setup for my homehub 3 but when I get to step 5 all i get is that it is not connected to broadband and can go no further anybody knows why this happens. Thanks
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@BOWLER
If possible please can you provide screenshots?
Thanks
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
BOWLER

Thank you for replying I will attempt to get a screen shot, but meanwhile does the homehub have to be connected to the broadband physically as I am using by mobile broadband to log on because when I use plusnet it only sees my plusnet router when I enter the homehub address.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

You have to be connected to the hub via wifi or ethernet.
If you are using the phone signal I.e Vodafone 4G it won't work
If your phone is trying to connect it is probably reverting between Plus net and BT.  Turn of the Plus net router and see if that works - if not use a cable.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
BOWLER

Sorry lets go back to basics.
I have the bt home hub connected to my computer via ethernet
when i enter 192.168.1.254 in my browser it goes to the technicolor login plusnet page not to BT.
i presume this was because plusnet the same address so that was why i tried my vodafone mobile dongle.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

To access BT hub pages you need to enter http://bthomehub.home/
This takes you to the hub configuration page. Try turning off the technicolor router off as your PC could be connecting via WiFi.
If it still persists then try clearing the cache on your browser or trying a different browser
NE
BOWLER

I have tried all the the things that you suggested but unfortunately the screen that says i am not connected to broadband appears.
I have included a screen shot in pdf format.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the screen shot. I've never seen that message before.
Can you confirm that the DSL cable is plugged in and connected to the socket.
The ADSL cable has to be connected for it to work then you'll be able to enter the details
Another way is by going into advanced settings and then Internet or connection and you'll be able to enter the details here.
Go back to home after saving the details. Press home tab then press connect.
NE
BOWLER

i did not have DSL or the ADSL connected as it did not say it had to be at the beginning of this article or am I just thick.
Anyway after connecting this I still kept getting the same screen about not being connected to broadband. I then went into advanced settings as you suggested and have manage to change username & and password and my router seems to working fine.
Thank you NorthEasterner for your assistance.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I'll have to edit the article - only if I could.
I'm glad it's now working!  Cool
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bought HHub 5 (Type A) off ebay in advance of upgrade to fibre due on 11th dec. Tried to connect it to existing long adsl line (attenuation 63) on Sat. Trusty old netgear dg834g was connected at 2.3mb. Installed HHub 5 via ethernet on XP pc. Reset hub, went thru non fibre instal procedure, only had to put PN username & pword as detailed at beginning of this thread. Seemed to go ok though only connected at 1.9mb. On PC email was ok, AVG antivirus & Malwarebytes updated. Problem was couldn't load web pages. Kept getting BT message saying connected to internet & installation nearly finished.
Though Windows 8.1 laptop worked fine wirelessly & via ethernet with the hub.
Connected Android devices wirelessly, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 & Galaxy 3 mini, email & apps worked ok but again web browsing a no go. Got google search page but using any link just brought up error page (500 internal server error), might have been "505" not sure now.
Went through all options on hub interface couldn't see any options I could change such as the settings PNet show on their connection settings advice page.
Had to give up after few hours & reconnect dg834g. No probs back at 2.3mb.
I assume I've missed something in the installation but couldn't see any options to change. Only wanted to check hub was properly functioning etc. I intend to have fibre instal done with BT modem & PN router, & replace them with the HHub when line & speeds settled in.
Perhaps I should have done the instal via 8.1 laptop rather than ageing XP PC?
Any advice much appreciated.
Undecided
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Forgot to mention above, as you all prob know Netgear interface shows all various settings clearly but I couldn't find much proper info on HHub via settings. Was missing something again?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It's probably BT SMART SETUP trying to takeover the connection
To disable this
Go to http://bthub.home/
Click advanced settings - then continue to advanced settings
Then click home network
Then click Smart Setup
Then change from YES to NO
Then click APPLY
Hopefully that should work
NE
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Many thanks Northeasterner. Will try this tomorrow.
Cheers
Smiley
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Northeasterner, forgot to ask this. I assume I will need to reset Hub again when I attach it after fibre instal on 11th & wont be able to just plug into socket with my adsl settings.