cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

So you want to use a BT hub 3 or 2 on your plusnet service? I like your thinking!  Cool
I have provided all the necessary steps below to get you connected.  Please note that hub 1 is locked down to BT retail but can be unlocked at your own risk.  But can't provide steps.
Note - If the hub has previously been used on a BT service, you may find that the hub is broadcasting a WIFI hotspot like BT-WIFI or BT-WIFI with FON.  To disable this, you will need to do a factory reset by putting a small object into the reset button on the back of the hub.
1 . connect to the BT hub 3 or 2 using a ethernet cable or via WI-FI.
2 . Open your preferred browser and paste the following -  http://bthomehub.home   - or  -  192.168.1.254
3 . Enter your password (If you have logged on to the BThub settings before)  (If not) enter admin password (Found on pull out card on back of hub) enter a new password (A preferred one)
4 . Click Settings (Along top tabs) then at the bottom you will see 'Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)'
5. Click on that.
6 . You will see 2 lines -
Username -   bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password -
change it to
Username - <yourplusnetusername>@plusdsl.net  (don't include <> )
Password - The password you used to sign up to plusnet.
Hope this helps!
I am one happy user using the BT hub 3 type B and used type A ( both similar ) (Same steps for both versions),  this is also the same steps for BT hub 2 if you have one.
Comment below if anything needs tweaking.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
165 REPLIES 165
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

One thing do a factory reset on it first (unless it is new) either from the menus or by pressing the reset button when plugging in. (If you don't and it has been used you may end up with BT FON WiFI enabled)
HH2's don't need unlocked, they will accept the PN usernames. (Unlocking will allow use of PN VOIP though)
HH1 needs to be on a latest firmware then will accept PN usernames. (VOIP via unlocking a/a)
(I know the above 2 as I have used them on ADSL)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

Edited.
I wouldn't want to confuse people who have got hub 1 or 2 by having to unlock to use VoIP, perhaps you could explain that  Roll_eyes
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

Good post JamieDanjoux! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HairyMcbiker
All Star

By default the HH1/2 use the BT servers for VOIP/SIP.
You can use the routers as normal unless you want to use the PN VOIP service (or any other SIP provider)
The unlocking guide is on PSIDOC.NET and the guide for using PN VOIP is http://www.psidoc.com/showthread.php/168-PlusNet-VoIP-settings-for-HH2 once it has been unlocked.
I have used both on PN VOIP happily.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

This article ought to be in the Library.
Any chance of the library being mended?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Good post JamieDanjoux! Smiley

Thanks Adam! I tried to add this onto Library Blogs, But can't seem to enter any text on create a new blog. Please can you assist me with this?
Would be Grateful!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've been able to create a 'starter' library article Using a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC. I tried to assign it to the OP (I'm down as an editor) but unfortunately that was overridden.
If you are happy for this to continue with myself as author, will the system let you edit the article and add text? If it will before you go too far make sure you can submit it for publication - it will go for moderating which I'll cover.
Otherwise I'll copy remaining information from your post. Obviously since I'm down as the author it needs an acknowledgement of the source.
David
David
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have to Q whether it NEEDS to be in the library? All it is doing is telling you that you need to put in your user id/password is that so hard to understand?
Maybe make it a sticky here but ...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: spraxyt
I've been able to create a 'starter' library article Using a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC. I tried to assign it to the OP (I'm down as an editor) but unfortunately that was overridden.
If you are happy for this to continue with myself as author, will the system let you edit the article and add text? If it will before you go too far make sure you can submit it for publication - it will go for moderating which I'll cover.
Otherwise I'll copy remaining information from your post. Obviously since I'm down as the author it needs an acknowledgement of the source.
David

I get a screen like the picture I have attached.  This is when I try to 'Create/Edit an article' . Maybe you can provide steps since I have never posted on a Library side or the community site.
Jamie
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That looks weird - not sure what's going on there.
If you display the article I created here do you see something like the screen snip libArticle.png I've attached with an edit link at the right-hand side of the title strip?
If so, and click edit does it give an edit textbox as shown in libEdit.png attached?
I'm using Firefox 20.0 on Vista. The browser and computer may affect this.
David
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I'm using a mac. With the inbuilt safari programme. Ill install Firefox and see if any different.
Cutterschoice
Grafter

Out of interest what’s the difference between the Type A and Type B routers?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If I go to Library and click Create / Edit an Article I get the attached.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Cutterschoice
Out of interest what’s the difference between the Type A and Type B routers?

Different Brand. One's made from Broadcom, and other is Huawei I think.
Type B is better on fibre connections. I think type B is smarter and more efficient