cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do upstream rates on VDSL ever get capped?

Lorian
Grafter

Do upstream rates on VDSL ever get capped?

I have FTTC (appx 1.4km of copper overhead to the cab) - giving about 19Mb/sec downstream but only 1Mb/sec upstream.
The reason I ask about the upstream capping is because the SNR Margin reported by the HG612 is always around 18db for the upstream - does this mean its been hard set to 18db and that's what's causing the poor upstream rate?
If that's the case can this upstream cap/target be removed?
3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Do upstream rates on VDSL ever get capped?

Hi there
Both the upstream and downstream speeds can get capped depending on how the line is performing, the length of cable between the cabinet and your property and other different factors
Chris Pettit has created a guide which explains why this can happen if you click the link below
http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
To cut a long story short we cannot do a reset ourselves as this can only be done by a engineer after improvements are made
We can look into this but in all honesty your current speeds are within the estimate and due to the length there's a good chance that the engineer won't be able to improve anything
If you want to go ahead with this let us know
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Lorian
Grafter

Improvements were done a long time ago, I had a d-side lift and shift, but I suspect any downstream cap/higher target SNR were never reset at that time.
The upstream target SNR appears to be fine, its just the downstream....
You can't just request a rest or restart of the training period without an engineer visit?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Unfortunately not, discussions are ongoing to allow ISP's more control over this.
If your connections remains uninterrupted and the line remains clear of any errors, DLM will pick your speeds back up automatically.