Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do these stats look okay?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do these stats look okay?

Hi
I was at my mum's house yesterday and was just looking at the connection settings (see attached)
She uses a hub 3 due to signal from technicolour being low.
Regards
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
22 REPLIES 22
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Do these stats look okay?

the downstream speed should be more than that in theory.. around 7mbit I'd have thought.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

That is significantly less than it ought to be.
Follow the usual checks which I expect you are well familiar with...
Quiet line test / wiring checks / connection to the test socket...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

If you can let us know once you've done the tests that Townman mentions, and then re-post your stats we can advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Did quiet line test. All fine
There's no test socket due to there being no master socket as it's star wiring  Undecided
Not sure if it helps but when dialling my mum off house phone there seems to be a click noise in the dial tone (it only happens once) sound quality is fine.
TalkTalk  said this was the highest the line could handle, but that's TalkTalk!
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Well star wiring will be somewhat unhelpful.
One of the sockets will be a master socket - probably the one from which all the others 'star' off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: NorthEasterner

TalkTalk  said this was the highest the line could handle, but that's TalkTalk!
NE

So it's not a pn provided service?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I think the answer to this is your star wiring. If you get that removed, chances you'll get an increase in speed, but there's no guarantee.
Maybe you could persuade your Mum to move over to Plusnet then we can do some other line tests and get more information....and don't forgot your referrals bonus!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi,
Sorry forgot to mention, my mum is on Plusnet, unlimited ADSL.
TalkTalk was her previous supplier, they were the ones who said that was her maximum speed on the line.  To say, since PN switchover, the speed has increased by 1mb or so.
However she's getting less than quoted.
NE
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Also here is a picture (see attached)
The black cable that goes into the air vent, comes out the other side, the cable then goes into a small white junction box and 2 wires come out.  1 cable goes to one standard socket, and the other to another standard socket which is upstairs.
Although there is another socket in the cupboard, this is another standard socket (can't find where the cable trails)
Looked in all rooms and can't find a master socket, I'm convinced that the white small junction box is in place of an master socket.
Can I get BT to sort this out? Surely since it's BT's property, they'll have to do it for free.
NE
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Please can someone from PN look into this please?
NE
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That wire into the vent is rather naughty - it should loop down and up into the vent so that rain water cannot run down it into the vent!

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I had star wiring -one of the sockets had a large capacitor inside -apparently this is a minimaster.
When I had problems with my internet connection (and phone line) the BT engineer replaced a bit of old and brittle external cable,& rearranged the wiring to make the lounge socket a true master socket.
I later had a seperate issue when BT mistakenly changed my phone number.!! In sorting this out,the 2nd BT guy found that one of the other extensions was also suffering from a damaged wire leading to excessive noise - for simplicity,we disconnected the remaining extensions and I saw a vast improvement in my download stats and a clean phone line.
UNFORTUNATELY, if you ask BT to sort the star wiring out  without there being a fault then they will charge megabucks for the job ~ £250 if memory serves. Cry
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Can you raise a support ticket on your account please (faults.plus.net) as we'll need that if you want an engineer out.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I've raised a ticket.
But my mum or I will certainly not be paying £250!
NE