cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do these router settings look correct?

janeybeans
Grafter

Do these router settings look correct?

I've been having ongoing problems with FTP transfer speeds being very slow ever since moving to Plusnet Fibre connection.  To their credit, Plusnet have tried all sorts of things to try and resolve the problem but to no avail.
As I'm not busy at the moment I thought I'd log into router admin (which I've not done before) and see if there was anything glaringly obvious on there.  I've noticed the FTP is on there under 'game and application sharing' (I've not added it so not sure if it is an automatic thing or if Plusnet put it there while trying to resolve the problem) and wondered if anyone could confirm if these settings are correct.
Firstly, it says:
Game or Application - FTP Server
Device - 192.168.1.253 (I notice this is slightly different from the IP of the router which is 192.168.1.254.  Will that make any difference?)
Log - Off
Then if you click on FTP server, you get the following settings (there are two rows of settings)
Protocol - TCP
Port Range - 21-21
Translate To ... 21-21
Trigger Protocol -
Trigger Port -
Protocol - TCP
Port Range - 21800 - 21805
Translate To ... 21800 - 21805
Trigger Protocol -
Trigger Port -

Now this is complete gibberish to me so I don't want to fiddle with anything but is there anything glaringly obvious there that might cause a conflict?

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Do these router settings look correct?

You should be okay deleting those port forwarding rules. They're for the built in media server I believe that you won't be using anyway.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

janeybeans
Grafter

Which are the port forwarding rules?
dick:quote

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

• Navigate to Toolbox > Content Sharing > Configure (top-right)

• Ensure the FTP server is disabled and apply the changes

• Navigate to Game and application sharing > Configure (top-right) and unassign the FTP entry

I'm not saying that will definitely fix your FTP transfer problem but it will remove the unnecessary FTP port mapping from the router (and allow you to assign elsewhere if needs be).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

janeybeans
Grafter

Thanks for that, didn't work but was worth a try.  Sad