cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do support even read what you tell them

haywardsteve
Grafter

Do support even read what you tell them

Since January I have had issues with my broadband speed/data throughput but NO one seems to read what I put in the ticket extra details they keep trying to say its my equipment at fault, They have sent five (5) openreach enginners to my home to test line speed and they all told me I should have 4Mbps but as soon as I log onto PlusNet the speed becomes far less than that, typical speed is at best 1.2 Mbps during the morning dropping to less than 500Kbps at 1600 at the moment its down to 283Kbps with pages timing out due to slow data throughput.

The strange thing is I have a work connection on a different phone line which gives me a speed of 3.6Mbps and if I switch the router's over at the master sockets the fault switches and the good line slows down to a snails pace and the bad speeds up ,which to me means the fault is someware in the system to PlusNet but they will not say this and keep trying to blame my stuff, So far I have tried 3 different routers, 6 micro filters ,and 4 master sockets and I belive the Openreach guys when they show me their results so has anybody else had this kind of run around getting a simple good connection from PlusNet????

I was without a phone for the weekend as it was cut off to "fix the fault " it came back in a worse state from what it was before they started messing about NO ONES CARES ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE IT SEEMS

11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Do support even read what you tell them

I've just replied to your other thread about this.

I can see we're progressing a fault but something is causing the connection speed to decrease, this can happen anywhere along the line back to the exchange as that's where the sync speed is negotiated. I can see we've advised a REIN engineer is the next step so they can check for interference to see what's causing this speed drop to happen.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@haywardsteve wrote:

The strange thing is I have a work connection on a different phone line which gives me a speed of 3.6Mbps and if I switch the router's over at the master sockets the fault switches and the good line slows down to a snails pace and the bad speeds up ,which to me means the fault is someware in the system to PlusNet but they will not say this and keep trying to blame my stuff,

If you swap your equipment round and the fault moves does this not point the fault to your equipment? Or have I misunderstood?

haywardsteve
Grafter

Mustrum you misunderstand the post  ,As the second setup works properly when its connected to the known good line AND the equipment on the faulty line works fine on the good line I deduce the fault is on the line past the master socket towards the exchange and onwards to PlusNet.

Since I have had 5 openreach engineers call and all come to the same conclusion that there is no fault to be seen back to the exchange ( The last one rewired me right back to the connection in the exchange ) and their test gear say I should cater to a 4Mbps connection but as soon as I try to login into the servers the speed drops like a stone so to me that's points to a fault on the system to plusnet OR do you have any other ideas???

haywardsteve
Grafter

Chris , As the other known good line runs in the same cable all the way back to the exchange WHY is only one circuit affected?? if there was interference on the cable it would effect all the circuits in that cable BUT it only effects MY line!!! I am sure the Openreach guys ( this will be engineer number 6 coming) would have checked for this?Huh

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Could well be a faulty port on the DSLAM which may need to be reset (or even replaced).  Not all OR engineers are skilled for this task, but worth getting them to check.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Exmoor

I have the same problem it seems. Their ambition is to be so tedious that you give up trying to get the service you pay for i have 2 months left on my contract and i am off . I know its all the same phone lines but plusnet have become less than useless on the service side

haywardsteve
Grafter

I am sure this is the problem BUT its getting somebody to get off their high horse and go and look at it in where ever this piece of kit is as its below them to look further than their computer screen.

I used to work in a large power station that always had a problem starting up in the morning due to a boiler damper being in the wrong place for the PLC computer, The damper was right but the computer had a faulty input card channel ( 1 in 1000 ) but getting the logic guy to get out of his office took a direct order from the station boss to get out and change the card, took him 5 minutes to fix a 6 month fault looks like PN are the same

haywardsteve
Grafter

After a lot of mains filters were placed on the computer cables ( when you see the plug trees that connect all your things the strange hum that could only be seen on a scope appears to be screened out and my speed have shot up to nearly 4Mbps.

I do not know why it only effected one of my 2 lines into the house but doing a queit test does not pick up the frequency that was mucking my line up it was nearly at the broadband frequency so it was swamping the 1 and 0's and all the router got was a steady signal.

I hope this is the end of the saga but you never know    TOUCH WOOD

LM54

No, I don't think customer support read anything through properly, if I've got a problem I go straight to the CEO Andy Baker, that gets results, or at least in my case it has - very quickly as well....!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@haywardsteve,

When talking about SPEED are you talking about line synch speed as reported by the router stats or data throughput speed as reported by a speed test?

BT engineers will be reporting raw line synch speed WITHOUT the application of the line's profile rate which is intended to maintain stability.

Are you ADSL or ADSL2?  Sight of your router stats would be useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Townman

Are you reading the dates on the posts? Apparently the problem was solved by fitting some mains filtering plugs on their own computer equipment.