cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do static Ip customers always get the same LNS?

dragon2611
Grafter

Do static Ip customers always get the same LNS?

Not sure if the plus net staff will be allowed to answer this one, but ive noticed I seem to always end up on PTN-AG02 so I wondering if it's a case of static IP's are normally routed to a certain LNS.
I often notice I get denied access on my first login attempt following a router reboot but the response is interpreted by my router as Connection terminated: no multilink.
But that could just Be because I rebooted and probably my old session takes a few minutes to timeout.
5 REPLIES 5
avatastic
Grafter

Re: Do static Ip customers always get the same LNS?

Nope, static IP users can gateway hop with the rest of them.
It's generally best to disconnect and reconnect from the internet (PPP session) rather than rebooting the router as frequent router reboots may cause the DLM to apply  a higher SNR target or give you a banded profile because of the line drops.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: avatastic

It's generally best to disconnect and reconnect from the internet (PPP session) rather than rebooting the router as frequent router reboots may cause the DLM to apply  a higher SNR target or give you a banded profile because of the line drops.

My modem and router are seperate boxes  Wink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure on that one but I believe it's still seen as a drop because the exchange doesn't get the signal to close the connection. I'd honestly say better safe than sorry, but if you've noticed no drops in speed you may be alright.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've had the same static IP since I was on dialup and never been stuck to just one gateway.  Only time that has happened in the past, when customers that downloaded excessive amounts were put on a bad boys pipe to not cause slow downs for other customers.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dragon2611
Quote from: avatastic

My modem and router are seperate boxes  Wink

It's still better to do a orderly disconnect and reconnect rather than a reboot. Try leaving it for a few minutes before reconnectling.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)