cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do plusnet throttle connections during peak time (8am to 12am)

msbirjandi

Do plusnet throttle connections during peak time (8am to 12am)

for the first month i had an amazing connection during peak times and off peak it was all the same
Now a month has passed and I am out of my cooling off period which means I am stuck with an 18 month contract and my connection is throttled to 2mb download during peak hours
which by the way is ridiculous 8am to 12am how is that peak?  peak hours should be more like 9am to 10pm. anyway....
so now during these "peak hours" my download speeds are 2mb and after 12am i get constant downloads of around 32mb to 38mb
the customer service so far has been fantastic but the only thing I am disappointed with is the fact that for the first 3 weeks plusnet gave me the best connection i have ever had and now all of a sudden they have
swept the rug right under my feet.
so please tell me so i don't waste time with router settings and vpn's Do you guys throttle speeds during peak times? its a simple yes or no
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Do plusnet throttle connections during peak time (8am to 12am)

Put your product in here and find out http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
msbirjandi

So i have to pay an extra £5 a month to use a service that I am already paying for.
Just to clarify I am paying
£21.49 a month for my Plusnet Extra Fibre
£3.50 talk anytime
£11.99 for landline
Now I have to add another £5 a month to get the full service that I am already paying for? can someone please tell me why I am paying £21.49 a month for? and whats the point of having 120gb a month limit when i can't even hit that limit even if I tried.
msbirjandi

I take it the guys at plusnet don't have a comment when it comes to ripping people off because you know what you are doing is wrong.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the "Guys" at PlusNet who use the forum dont work week ends.
and why are they doing wrong the information is published,re Oldjims link  (Oldjim is a forum moderator, but is a normal person and not a PN employee)
msbirjandi

That comment was not pointed at the moderator that was directed at plus.net
and They might not work here on the weekends but they sure do work on weekends, I was on the phone to some one all day yesterday.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they are contactable on the phone 24/7/364
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been checking whether the information regarding traffic management is easily available to new customers before sign-up, as new customers are unlikely to discover the page that Oldjim highlighted, however I quickly discovered -

So the information was there to be read, and presumably agreed with in the T&C's during sign-up !

My question though is what traffic is 'msbirjandi' having rate limited to 2Mbps ?, and particularly between 8:00am and noon ? - that does not coincide with the table shown  Undecided
ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: msbirjandi
Now I have to add another £5 a month to get the full service that I am already paying for? can someone please tell me why I am paying £21.49 a month for? and whats the point of having 120gb a month limit when i can't even hit that limit even if I tried.

trust me at  full speed downloading those big torrents your allowance would be maxed out in hours.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

This is the "Up to 512Kbps service".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

purleigh, can you link me to where you found that table?
Also, I was told on here when I switched to PlusNet Unlimited that the traffic management isn't nearly as fierce as displayed on the PlusNet site. This is usually true, as right now any downloads should be limited but I am still downloading at full speed.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Don't worry, I found it!
For anybody interested it's here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
StuartUK35
Grafter

can someone please tell me why I am paying £21.49 a month for? and whats the point of having 120gb a month limit when i can't even hit that limit even if I tried.

Your paying £21.49pm for it, cos u chose to pay £21.49 !!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
and yes, this is how the Fibre service works:
Fibre Value = a 2mb line for 2/3rds of the day, then line speed for the 8 hours in the early hours (in my case, around 33mb)
Fibre Extra  = 5mb line for 2/3rds of the day, then line speed for the 8 hours in the early hours (in my case, around 33mb)
End of the day, as bad as it sounds, that's how it is, and alot of other ISP's do the same, and the law is so bent thats how it will always be...
I found all the speed related stuff before i signed up, so i knew what i was signing up for, so cant really gripe about it...  no ISP advertises how they screw you over, and no ISP is required to do so either.....
I'm on Fibre Value + PRO Addon......
I do my D/L's after midnight to 8am, so have the PRO to give me a fast speed when i use it on the evening.... i'm still whacked down to 25mb sometimes, and then back to 33mb at midnight...... but to me, 25mb is better than 2mb!!  Smiley Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I take it the guys at plusnet don't have a comment when it comes to ripping people off because you know what you are doing is wrong.

Hi msbirjandi,
I'm sorry you feel this way. As a few others have pointed out we do publish our rate limits for all to see. Also, on sign up we do make customers aware of the way we manage our traffic. If we didn't do this then you and others would find your experience severely impeded with browsing, streaming and applications such as Skype being swamped by downloads.
Jojo Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

If -
[quote=StuartUK35]Fibre Value = a 2mb line for 2/3rds of the day
and
[quote=StuartUK35]Fibre Extra  = 5mb line for 2/3rds of the day
but -
[quote=msbirjandi]Just to clarify I am paying
£21.49 a month for my Plusnet Extra Fibre
£3.50 talk anytime
£11.99 for landline
and
[quote=msbirjandi]during these "peak hours" my download speeds are 2mb and after 12am i get constant downloads of around 32mb to 38mb

IF 'msbirjandi' has "Fibre Extra", does that account have the wrong traffic management applied ? as what 'msbirjandi' is saying sounds more like "Fibre Value" !  Huh