Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i need a reset?

bitz1
Grafter

Do i need a reset?

Hi
Last week i was getting a throughput of 12mb again solid, with a perfect sync of 17550 at my router.
Now BT have dug up the line outside my house today due to previous copper line problems, and now say the line is perfect they have fixed the original fault.
Problem being my throughput has dropped down to 1 to 2mb from my perfect 12mb, i am still synced at 17550 to the exchange.
Here are my stats
Down  Con Speed 17550  Up 445
Line Atten Down 21db Up 5.5db
Noise Down 6db Up 23db
I notice my downstream noise has gone to 6db from 3db.
Basically what i am asking is will the speed come back by itself or will i need to get Plusnet to reset again.
Thanks for any info
23 REPLIES 23
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Do i need a reset?

It will only come back slowly; I'd ask PN to do a full retrain if you're sure the repairs are complete.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bitz1,
I've just ran a line check and looked at your account and noticed a mismatch in the profiles. I've fixed that now, so if you disconnect then reconnect via your router I'd be interested to see what happens.
Jojo Smiley
bitz1
Grafter

Thanks Jo
just reset the router and now i have got 12mb throughput again.
I am quite happy at that, someone did mention that if I am synced at 17663 I should be getting 14.5mb, but I will not haggle over 2.5mb, just curious why i always get a max of 12mb when I am next door to the telephone exchange
Thanks again, pleased to be back up and running.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI bitz1,
Your ip profile is 15000. Although there are times when your throughput will vary I think 12000 would be significantly acceptable for any of your internet needs.
Jojo Smiley
bitz1
Grafter

oh well did not last long
had my 12meg throughput for 2hours and is now bouncing all over again from 1 meg to 7meg
here is my bt stats
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3971/capture3lx.jpg
still synced at 17620
I notice on bt speedtest it says ip profile 7000 not 15000
thanks
bitz1
Grafter

Where do i go from here - 7 weeks later and back to the beginning.

Been with plusnet for a number of years now without a hitch.  7 weeks ago started to get disconnections, had BT around checking my copper lines to the exchange and they have give it 100% bill of health.  Yet my line still gets disconnected and the speed bounces up and down from 1mb to 7mb when i have  a solid sync 17550kbps from the router to the exchange.  Plusnet keep saying it is the copper lines which i am beginning to doubt as BT have run innummerable checks on these, i have a total of 5 SFI engineers all giving the lines the ok and the fault still persists.  My router stats are excellent as i live next door to the exchange.  I seem to get disconnected everynight between 12midnight & 3am and various times during the day. I no sooner get my 12mb throughput back and then the whole thing goes haywire again.
Where do i go from here?  As it doesn't look like Plusnet can sort this one.
Stuck in limbo, shame as they have been excellent up to now, but can't run my internet like this, and having to ring everyday their faults department, who call BT out again, who tell me again the lines are alright, it is just a constant

frustrating loop which gets nowhere.
I have tried 3 times today waiting over 20 minutes each time to ask Marc from faults to ring me and i can't even get through to the engineers now.  What is going on with plusnet.
Can someone get this message to him so we can try to get something sorted or i am out of here.
*** UPDATE UPDATE 8AM this morning now got now got 14 meg throughput the best to date but how long for i can only hope***
bitz1
Grafter

Now back on this morning with throuighput of 14meg after another disconnection last night lets hope it is the last one for a while, fingers crossed it stays this way.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bitz1,
Yes, your line has been a bit all over the place but I'm not sure what it could be. In the connection logs below, do you see any disconnects you are aware of?

Jojo Smiley
bitz1
Grafter

Hi
The problem started 7 weeks ago today, until then the previous years i didn't have any disconnections  Virtually perfect for 2 years.
BT have now fixed the Copper Line on Tuesday running a number of tests and they say the line is 100% perfect, so it should be as i am next door to the exchange.
Yesterday my throughput was all over the place again even though it had been reset, and I was still synced at 17550 as shown on my router.  I noticed this morning that at 2.30am on my router that the service had been interrupted and my throughput now is between 13 and 14 meg, best to date.  Fingers crossed that it will stay this way.
Curiousity, sitting next to the exchange is this a normal throughput 13mb when BT tells me the line is 100% when i am only across the road from the exchange, you did mention on a previous post that I have an IP profile of 15000, is there any reason for this as I am currently on a Plusnet Premium Package £15.99 a month for 20mb so is this a form of banding.  Same again I am happy at 13meg but just curious if this is some form of banding?
BT come and test the line and say it is a problem with Plusnet, but yoursleves then say it is BT and i seem to be going around in a big loop, i am hoping this is the end of it, but I wouldn't put any money on it. 
My router is on 24/7, i never disconnect unless it locks up and can't draw any pages.
Thanks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bitz1,
Have you had to reboot at any of the above times due to it locking up?
Jojo Smiley
bitz1
Grafter

just 5 mins ago locked up and i had to reboot again
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When it locks up can you ping the router (or access the router interface)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bitz1
Grafter

yes have 3 new routers and the same fault and stats on all 3 routers
yes you can access the router no prob
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

OK, how about pinging one of the PN DNS servers?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)