cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do different "Gateways" have different noise characteristics?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Do different "Gateways" have different noise characteristics?

Are some gateways quieter than others?  it would seem so from my router stats.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Do different "Gateways" have different noise characteristics?

That change will probably be due to the router reboot.
The gateway can't affect the noise as that is between you and the exchange.
If you change gateways without a resync you won't see any difference
James
Grafter

Hi Gerry,
Short answer, no Smiley
Longer answer is that the noise characteristics are from your router to the DSLAM at the exchange.  It doesn't have anything to do with the gateway you're connected to.
shutter
Community Veteran

So..... why should my router be more noisy after re-booting.... surely the router does not suddenly develop a fault on re-boot, and therefore make more noise.... the components inside on the circuit board are the same... the voltage(s) applied are the same, and the way the circuit operates is the same... WHY is it  noisier?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It isn't noisier it has a slightly higher noise margin which could be down to the bit loading characteristic at the time of the reboot.
Remember the reboot will have used the default noise margin which will then vary slightly over time
shutter
Community Veteran

So, then, the trace on the left is showing the "odd" spike,.... while the trace on the right is showing lots of spikes.... to me, that suggests the trace on the left is a lot less noisier than the trace on the right.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not really
It just means the noise margin is varying a bit not that it is noisier.
It will probably settle down once the bit swapping has dropped the dodgy tone loading.
Remember the reported noise margin is an aggregate of the noise margin on each tone
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, I bow to your better knowledge !... and accept what you are saying.... I just can`t understand why, if my trace has been like that for three weeks, since I reported a low speed fault, that the BT system has not managed to increase my speed... in fact for the first two weeks after I reported the fault, the BT speed tester has shown a decrease in speed from 1.2 mg right down to less than 500 k at present. with a "acceptable"  (not to me, matey) level of 50 to 500k ...              Cry    Even the plusnet faults team reports that the line is stable....  Shocked
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Gerry,
This is my noise margin trace without any resync or changing gateways
You can see that, although not as bad as yours, it goes through periods of stability and spiking
shutter
Community Veteran

Yours is for a 4 hour period, and mine is for a two hour period.... however, I think my trace looks a lot more stable than yours...!... particularly the left half of my trace..... but it you consider the .5 variation on the right hand side, that too is stable, and not the least bit "over spikey"  if you get my drift... !... My current trace looks very much like the first one I posted, without the big U drop where I rebooted..... the SNR is now between 5 and 5.5.... I don`t get BIG drops in the trace, as a norm.... so I can`t understand why BT has penalized me .... firstly with the initial speed drop, three weeks ago, and then progressively since then . Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As your default noise margin is still apparently 6dB I don't think you have been penalised so something must have upset your connection to cause your speeds to drop that much