Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all problems have a solution?

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Do all problems have a solution?

After nearly five months of less than acceptable service and more visits from BT engineers than I can shake a stick at, do all problems have a solution? I'm beginning to wonder. 

At what point do we 'call it a wrap' and walk away from the whole fiasco that is British Telecom. There has to be a better way, surely?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
4 REPLIES 4
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Do all problems have a solution?

In theory ,yes .....but if it involves replacement of a significant portion of the BT infrastructure between the home and the exchange then my (limited) experience is that BT Openreach will retreat into the " if you can make and receive phone calls...." - they treat the internet connection as a "nice to have" addon if there is considerable expense involved in solving the problem.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@davidj66

That sounds about right David, and it also seems to be the line (if you'll excuse the pun) that plusnet seem to be taking by trying to charge me full whack for a below standard phone line that works for the phone but is not up delivering a reliable internet. Why I should be charged top dollar for a line that gives one without the other is beyond me.

Guess I'll just have to keep banging my head up against the wall. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Does it always have a solution?  I can't say, but I can speak from experience that it sometimes takes a sight longer than it should.  We had I think 7 visits to try and fix a really noisy phone line, with every excuse under the sun from claiming that it passed the tests OK to claiming it must be external interference (yes, with nearest neighbour more than 1/4 mile away?), and of course the perenial Plusnet attempts to close the fault if it's running faster than "the estimate" even though even at that reduced speed we had MTBE of around a second.   However eventually an OR guy did take the trouble to open a joint and confirm the line clean at one point and noisy around 200m from us, and once that was established the fault got quickly resolved.   It's a shame that Plusnet and OR are prepared to put so much more effort into thinking up excuses not to troubleshoot, rather than in actually fixing faul

Thomas5020
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I know how you feel. I've had poor unreliable service for the past 10 years. And I can say from experience in fact that most problems DO NOT have a solution. And when there is a solution, it either involves you spending money you probably don't have or it involves the company fixing it, which again I can say from experience will not happen. Undecided

It's 2016, and even the fact that people like us are still using ADSL lines is disgusting. BT were given money, but they havent done the job. Even more disgusting is that the lines are mainly ADSL MAX, which began being rolled out over 12 years ago.