cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plusnet want the forums moderated by users?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do Plusnet want the forums moderated by users?

A post made by one of the moderators has me very bothered coupled with coupled with the bucket loads of cold water poured on the discussions about changing the way the forums are moderated by James has led me to question if Plusnet want the forums moderated by the users.
Quote from: Chemical
Please also bear in mind that I had wanted to send a message via the forum to every registered forum member, but this was thwarted by PN - this would have most definitely increased coverage, but instead it's being published in the next newsletter, which was supposed to go out this week, - sadly this is now going out next week (pretty much useless, as the elections finish next week)due to the fact they sent a marketing email out this week on referral bonuses - so either way we've had obstacles put in our way on how to get increased coverage.

Plusnet, given that the news letter has been delayed, if you are serious about having moderators elected from the users you should now allow an immediate notice about the polls to be sent to all registered users of these forums.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
49 REPLIES 49
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Do Plusnet want the forums moderated by users?

Would it be more prudent to extend the voting deadline to a few days after the newsletter has been sent out?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sounds like like a bit of a mess up there?  Yes we want the forums moderated by our users.  Delaying the close of the voting might be a good idea?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Mark
Grafter

To echo Kelly's comments. Yes we absolutely want the forums moderated by the community. They wouldnt work effectively otherwise and yes delaying the closing date sounds like a reasonable option in the circumstances.

scootie
Grafter

maybe a notice on the main plusnet webpage.
gets the covarge to those all ready signed up on the forum plus catch the eyes of those who are not and one more plus a good advert to customers looking into plusnet being there isp i know it would catch my eye that the forums are moderated by users.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I know it is the Plusnet way for deadlines to slip, but I would have hoped that perhaps Plusnet might learn something from the moderators that when deadlines are set they are stuck to.
Anyway, I don't see why there should be a change just to get Plusnet off the hook.
A commitment was made to promote the moderators election in the newsletter and this fitted in with the timetable for the election. When delaying the newsletter was discussed, was the impact on the elections considered? If not it demonstrates how little importance Plusnet attach to the elections.
Were the moderators informed that the newsletter was being delayed or did they just find out when it didn't happen?
Just what is the rational behind stopping the moderators sending out a forum announcement? I know it can't be because they are worried about people complaining that they are being spammed by Plusnet because, unlike the pathetic all or nothing opt out on the portal, in the SMF forum software users have the option to opt out of receiving the announcements by email. All Plusnet would have to do is to point people to the option in their forum profile (see attached).
The advantage of the forum announcement is that it targets just those registered on the forums and is more like to grab the users attention than just being buried in a newsletter where it more than likely won't be read - or at least not in the timescale (but then I suspect that is what Plusnet want, to prove that very few of the forum users are bothered by who does the moderation which would give them the excuse to take it over).
Quite frankly, I wish one the moderators would have the balls to just make the announcement and take the consequences - if Plusnet didn't like it I'm sure they'd have the backing of the users of these forums. And if they or I get censored I'm quite willing to discuss the much vaunted openness and independent moderation of the Community forums on TBB.
Mav
Fixes: 514

@ ASBO DOG
That was something I tried to bring to attention in this thread but nobody seemed to pick up on it back then.
Not only could it encorouge more people to vote but, maybe, more people to register and join these forums.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Were the moderators informed that the newsletter was being delayed or did they just find out when it didn't happen?

We were notified in the Moderation Team area after close of business last night that the newsletter wasn't going out.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For information I have just checked the stats (at moderator level) and the following is quite an eye opener
Users who have been on line today 147
Users who have been on line today or yesterday 248
Users who have been on line sometime in the last three days 301
Users who have been on line sometime in the last week 435
If we can only get a total of 39 voters out of all these active members it is a very sad state of affairs
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Mav
@ ASBO DOG
That was something I tried to bring to attention in this thread but nobody seemed to pick up on it back then.
Not only could it encorouge more people to vote but, maybe, more people to register and join these forums.

I think the difference now is that Plusnet are actively (a) blocking notice being given to all the registered forum users (b) trying to disrupt the election by suggesting that the end date be put back.
I'm sure there have been many general elections in this country where bad weather has been forecast for polling day and the Labour party (who seem to be affected most in such circumstances) would have wished polling to be delayed - it just doesn't happen.
Quote from: Chemical

We were notified in the Moderation Team area after close of business last night that the newsletter wasn't going out.

I'm positive that the decision to delay the newsletter much have been made much earlier in the day - if not days earlier. Pretty poor show that!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Oldjim
For information I have just checked the stats (at moderator level) and the following is quite an eye opener
Users who have been on line today 147
Users who have been on line today or yesterday 248
Users who have been on line sometime in the last three days 301
Users who have been on line sometime in the last week 435
If we can only get a total of 39 voters out of all these active members it is a very sad state of affairs

That's why I started the poll at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73706.0.html - to find out why people are not voting.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and you only got 22 voters up to now of whom 17 have voted in the election - same argument - the vast majority don't seem to care
LiamM
Grafter

Just what is the rational behind stopping the moderators sending out a forum announcement? I know it can't be because they are worried about people complaining that they are being spammed by Plusnet because, unlike the pathetic all or nothing opt out on the portal, in the SMF forum software users have the option to opt out of receiving the announcements by email. All Plusnet would have to do is to point people to the option in their forum profile (see attached).
The advantage of the forum announcement is that it targets just those registered on the forums and is more like to grab the users attention than just being buried in a newsletter where it more than likely won't be read - or at least not in the timescale (but then I suspect that is what Plusnet want, to prove that very few of the forum users are bothered by who does the moderation which would give them the excuse to take it over).

Hear hear... (or is it Here here!).
Mark
Grafter

What excuse to take over?
How many times do we have to say that we have absolutely no desire to take over?
I love debate but lets stick to facts and lets leave the wooden spoons out of it.
These forumr are run by the community for the community and thats what works and the way we want to keep it.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Mark
These forumr are run by the community for the community and thats what works and the way we want to keep it.

So why are our elected moderators prohibited from moderating the way they want and sending out a notification of the election to all the registered members of the forum?