cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to upgrade to take advantage of 21CN?

hangover
Grafter

Do I need to upgrade to take advantage of 21CN?

I’ve been with PlusNet about 6 years and am currently on the legacy BBYW Option 3 product. I’ve recently received the notification from PlusNet that I will be switched over to the 21CN network within the next five weeks. However it states:  “You will remain on the same 'up to 8Mbps' speeds that you have currently but are likely to see a better broadband performance.” I understand that 21CN facilitates speeds of up to 24Mbps (or ‘up to 20Mbps’ according to PlusNet’s website – which I’m guessing is a more realistic statement of the maximum achievable speed). So I have a number of questions which I would be very grateful for any help with:
1) Is the legacy BBYW product limited to ‘up to 8Mbps’ – i.e. do I need to switch to one of the current products in order to achieve ‘up to 20Mbps’ speed?
2) Given my line stats (below) am I likely to achieve a significant speed increase?
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 7616 Kbps 448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 10048 Kbps 1132 Kbps
Noise Margin 9.4 dB 24.0 dB
Line Attenuation 4.0 dB 10.0 dB
Output Power 11.9 dBm 19.8 dBm
3) Would I need to upgrade my router (a Belkin F5D7632-4) and if so, should I just ask for one from PlusNet when I upgrade, or would I be better off buying one myself (and, if so, which would you recommend)?
Many thanks
Dom
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Do I need to upgrade to take advantage of 21CN?

At this minute in time the Value package and all the old packages are limited to 8 M, Mand has said, maybe tongue in cheek watch this space.
Your synch speed will increase a little to 8128
hangover
Grafter

Many thanks pierre_pierre.
So if I changed to the Premium (or Pro) product, is it possible to estimate what speed increase I could reasonably expect? And would I need to change my router to take advantage of it?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try here this will give you estimates of speed http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and your market.
not sure about the router, google looks horrible, but the PN one, if you stay here a year will only cost you £6.99 for postage, or £40 if you leave early
you can compare your BBYW3 with the new packages as far as capping here http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
hangover
Grafter

Thanks again. The BT line speed estimation for 21CN is only 6Mb which isn't very impressive given that I am already getting 4.5Mb on DSL Max (and am only 0.4km from the exchange). Do you know how accurate these estimates are?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

With downstream attenuation of only 10dB, suggesting a 0.7km long line, you should go straight into the 24meg club on unrestricted ADSL2+.  Grin Grin
hangover
Grafter

Thanks HPsauce, that's just what I wanted to hear. Seems a no-brainer then - switch to Premium, get a new wireless router and get faster speeds for a lower monthly fee.