cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the wireless router for fibre?

jtcedinburgh

Do I need the wireless router for fibre?

Hey folks.  I currently have ADSL via PN and have a separate ZyXel broadband modem which I connect into my existing 4xgigabit wireless router. 
My limited research suggests that the fibre modem that Openreach installs has an ethernet connection.  Would this connect directly into my existing router, or do I have to use a specific 'fibre compatible' router.  And if I have to do that, can I set it so that I still do all other things via my established router and network, in much the same way as I currently do with my b/b router?
Thanks for any advice,
john
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Do I need the wireless router for fibre?

Hi and welcome  Smiley
As long as your router can establish a PPPoE connection on the WAN port you should be fine.  Depending on how the Zyxel modem handles the ADSL link it may even be that the router is set for PPPoE anyway.
If you post the model number of the router we can take a look at the spec and check.
HTH
jtcedinburgh

Thanks.  The router is an Apple Airport Extreme base station, model 7.6.4 (the flat, dual-band 802.11n with integral 4xgigabit ethernet model).  It does seem to support PPPoE, although at present it's setup for DHCP, which the b/b modem seems to provide those DHCP services. 
I've got an internal, part static and part DHCP address pool for my network - 10.0.0.x based - which I'd like to retain.  Do you have any tips as to how this would be configured with PPPoE?  Would the fibre modem be able to manage the IP addressing?
john
jtcedinburgh

Whoopsy!  Made a mistake.  I forgot that my Zyxel b/b modem died a while back and I'm now using a TPLink ADSL2+/USB modem, which was dirt cheap.  Doesn't look like it supports PPPoE, but I assume that I wouldn't need it to as the install will include a dedicated fibre modem anyway....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Should be fine using the AirPort Extreme, I've got the newer ac tower and it's fine.
You'll need to change it to be PPPoE though.
Also might be worth taking the router as a spare, and if you ever have any problems it'll help determine if it's a router problem or not
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'