cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

You plug one in to a socket near the router and connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable. You plug the other in to a socket near the television and connect it to the tele with another Ethernet cable. Press the pair button on pne unit and then straight away press the pair button on the other. That's it! You then set the television to use a wired Ethernet connection.
It could be that someone near to you has started using the same wireless channel as you. Have you tied using different channels?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks again Jelv, very helpful.  Cool
Before I go ahead and order that adapter kit, how do I go about checking and/or changing my wireless channel?  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If it's the same as the TG582, in the router interface you go to wireless under home network, then at the top right click configure. If the channel selection is on automatic you'll need to change it to manual. Try channels bottom, middle and top (1,7,13).
DrJon
Dabbler

Fantastic, thanks for all your help! That seems to have sorted it.  Grin
Now we can watch that final episode of Sherlock and the little one can get back into the Night Garden!
Peace returns to the house. Cheesy
DrJon
Dabbler

Oops, spoke too soon.  Sad
iplayer worked fine yesterday but this evening it keeps slowing down/buffering.
So do I change the channels again...? Cry
DrJon
Dabbler

Hello, can I please get some advice from a PlusNet staff member because I still cannot watch iplayer.
If it's not sorted out within two weeks then I will switch to another provider.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you tried different channels again (did you check it had remembered what you set it to when it worked)? If there are other wireless networks near you it may be that you will always struggle but I would expect it to be better that you are seeing.
The homeplugs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4) I suggested earlier would probably be your best solution.
Your initial question was about fibre. As it's the wireless that is causing the issue and not your broadband connection speed fibre isn't going to help. If you did upgrade to fibre at some time in the future the homeplugs would still be useful.
kamalaggi
Dabbler

Quote from: DrJon
It's wi-fi.
I don't know much about fancy TV's either, this is the first TV we've had for several years!  Undecided

How far is your router from the TV???
I have exact same tv and mine works fine. My router is right next to my tv though
cmarks

Just to make it really clear to DrJon, it is not PlusNet causing the problem here - it is your wireless connection and your TV.  Move wherever you wish, but you will have the same problem.  PN do not support the TV or iPlayer themselves.  They just get you a reasonable speed connection which you have.
People here are making lots of reasonable suggestions and you have proven that some (changing channel) work.  You can also try turning off your portable/wireless home phone for an evening if you have one as these can cause issues too with wifi range.
So, what you should do is...
1. Move the wifi router a bit nearer your TV even if it is just for an evening to prove that a better connection solves the problem.  Put it on a table in the middle of the room or something just to prove the point.
2. By the homeplug things - it will 99.5% solve it and if 1. above solves it then it should 100% solve it.
3. See if there is a firmware update for your TV - as you said it was last year's model I think, there could be, but this is a bit of a faf
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wouldn't try updating the TV over a flaky wireless connection!
Nigel60
Grafter

I am surprised no one has suggested connecting the router directly to your TV with a network cable. If iPlayer then works you can be sure it is a wireless problem.   
dragon2611
Grafter

Might also be worth asking Plusnet if they're willing to give you one of their newer routers for the same price new customers would get it (I think it's £5 or £6 delivery)
If you've been with them a while and also since you've just upgraded packages they might be able to sort something.
I'm thinking the newer router will have a different wi-fi chip and also 802.11n support so it might behave a bit better with the TV
PLan
Grafter

My Panasonic plasma always used to start buffering when watching streaming video, wirelessly,  from the net using the inbuilt software. By contrast my Roku(wireless connection) attached to the TV works without a hitch.