cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a new router - upgraded to Fibre Unlimited

fastonebaz
Grafter

Do I need a new router - upgraded to Fibre Unlimited

Hi, been a Plusnet customer for a few years now, been on Fibre for past 2 or so years and this week I upgraded to Fibre Unlimited which in theory means I could get upto 76mb download speeds.
When I upgraded, i didn't request a new router.  I'm getting quite variable speeds at different times of day ranging frmo 12mb to 40mb but never anywhere close to 70mb.  I'm wondering whether my existing router is actually capable of the supporting the higher speeds or whether i:
a) need a replacement router
b) need to change some settings/limits in my current router
in order to benefit from the higher speeds.
My current router is:
Technicolour TG582n Plusnet
Please could you advise me?
thanks
Barry
9 REPLIES 9
quitescary
Dabbler

Re: Do I need a new router - upgraded to Fibre Unlimited

I'm having the same issues but they try and make out it's our fault ! I often gave to switch off router to get faster speeds ! Mine jumps from 3mps - 25mps considering I'm supposed to be getting 30mps+ I also is on fibre unlimited.
That 852n router is utter rubbish I can't get my windows vista pc to connect and neither do my tenvis ip cameras where as before I switched to thus jokey fibre setup my connection was stable be it at 5mps but I was paying a lot less and all my devices connected ,
The issue with the router is worldwide do a google search , it's a rubbish piece of junk
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm using a 582 at the moment - though with wireless switched off - and it's fine with my speeds delivering a constant 60mbps according to the monitoring tool I use so it's capable of handling those speeds.
I guess you've got two options
1) raise a fault with PN
2) buy a new fibre router
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you're connecting via wireless then it's probably the fault of the 582N. I tried 3 of them before I bought an Asus RT-N56U. My wireless speeds are now identical to wired.  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@fastonebaz - What speeds do you get connected via Ethernet directly to the router?
@quitescary - On the Fault Ticket that you had open, we requested that you ran the BT Speedtester so that we can take evidence to our suppliers to get this investigated further for you. We've not blamed you for the issues at all, we've requested that you carry out a couple of checks. Getting to the bottom of a fault requires help from both sides, especially if we can't see the speed issues that you can see.
fastonebaz
Grafter

@Chris, I will try the ethernet cable speed test later and post back here. thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the speeds are better wired, try changing the wireless channel to see if you can find one that is better.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
quitescary
Dabbler

Right then I've seemed to have sorted a multitude of sins with the following actions
If your pretty Pissed off with the dreadful router that has been sent to yourselves and they say there us no known probs , but if you search the net it's a worldwide problem with speed , can't connect devices etc well this is what choices you have
1. Tell plusnet to stick their gear up their [Censored] and go to a better provider but if your tied to them fir various reasons then go to option 2
2. Buy yourself a BT home hub 5 off eBay then throw the crapi tg852n and bt modem in bin cos the homehub is an all in one unit and it looks stunning ,  but you have to do the following things when you get it
3. After you plug it in etc acces the settings via 192.168.1.254 change the log in details from a bt one to your plusnet. User  name etc and hit connect and yippee it works  Grin Grin
3. The BT Home Hub 4 and Hub 5 are dual band with two wireless frequencies for devices to connect to: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. On both Hubs, the default setting has the same network name (or SSID) for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Connecting a typical 5GHz-capable device to this single SSID will automatically connect the device to both the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequency at the same time.
However, not all dual band devices behave the same way and some device software does not cope well with a single SSID for both frequencies.
As a result:
the device may not connect wirelessly to the Hub
it may not connect to 5GHz frequency even in the same room
the wireless connection might be intermittent
Devices where there are known to be problems include:
Some Apple devices including iPhone 5 and Apple TV
some Android smartphones
Xbox
For some devices you can solve this problem by having different network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands.
To change the Hub 4 SSID name:
Open your web browser on a device connected to the Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub manager
Click on Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted. The default password can be found on the label on the back of the Hub
Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
Click on Wireless then 5GHz
You now need to disable the sync with 2.4Ghz so you can change the SSID
Change the "Wireless SSID" to a new name
Click Apply to save the changes
After a few minutes you should see two Hub 4 SSIDs in the list of networks on your device.
You then need to set up a wireless connection separately to each SSID.
IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My speeds are up to 29mps and 6mps IT LOOKS SO MYCH NEATER , ACCESS TO THE SETTINGS ARE SO MUCH EASIER
THANKYOU PLUSNET FOR YOUR EXCELLENT ASSITANCE PMSL !!!
I hope you all can get this sorted and then be happy for once happy Sufing guys www.facebook.com/pages/Quite-Scary-Productions-Ltd/10988433908758
jim:red Avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two duplicate posts removed from other threads
fastonebaz
Grafter

Thanks for replies, sorry I still haven't managed to check the ethernet speed yet.