cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissappointing speed with HomePlug AV200 adapters

picbits
Rising Star

Re: Dissappointing speed with HomePlug AV200 adapters

Maybe take a step back and grab a couple of identical adapters and see what they do on their own on various parts of the ring main.
I've seen issues with different brands on the same ring even though they are meant to all conform to the same standards.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: ToeKnee60
Now that I have disconnected the HomePlug adapter connected to my computer, there are 4 other HomePlug adapters on the house's ring main : one connected to my son's PC, one connected to his Xbox 360, one connected to my Sky+ HD box and one connected to the router.

Why have you got two adapters for your son? Are they not near enough that you could have one adapter in his room connection to a £5 5-port Ethernet switch? Don't forget the 200 is the maximum network speed so the more homeplug devices being used simultaneously will cause slowdowns - better to let an Ethernet switch manage the contention and fed it through a single homeplug where possible.
Also, I've previously successfully had TP-Link TL-PA211 running across different ring mains that were connected to different fuse boxes (but both fed from the same meter).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobboulby
Grafter

I've struggled for years to get decent and reliable speed from a Homeplug network although speed and pings have always been ok gaming on a PS3 (but not for streaming video). One thing I've noticed is that they seem to be very susceptible to mains interference, especially from USB type chargers used for mobile phones etc.
I eventually bought a TP-Link TL-WR702N and this has been far more reliable for streaming than the Homeplus adapters ever were. I'm only on ADSL2 though so my maximum download speeds are restricted to about 16 Mbps.
Bob
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just for info I have 4 TP Link TL-PA551 Gigabit Powerline Adapters currently connected at around 300Mbs.
3 downstairs and 1 upstairs.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just done some testing of LAN speeds using LAN speed test (Lite). All the tests were using the same laptop (an old Dell Inspiron 510m). I used a 100MB test file.
Full Ethernet wired (100mbps): 72Mbps
TP-Link TL-PA211 on same ring main and across different ring mains: 36Mbps
TP-Link TL-PA211 plugged in side by side in to the same trailing extension lead: 40Mbps
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

TP Link TL-PA551 10' apart on same ring main 1MB test file.
Writing 56.79Mbs  Reading 63.12Mbs
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ToeKnee60
Grafter

I removed all HomePlugs from the ring main except the one connected to the router and the one attached to my son's desktop PC.
I did a speed test on the Internet and got about 17 Mb/s down and 17 Mb/s up. This is only slightly faster than it was before (11 to 14 Mb/s).
By comparison I can get about 40 Mb/s via 802.11n  wireless on my wife's laptop (next to his desktop PC) and about 68 Mb/s via Cat6 cable on my PC.
I think that I will be getting him an 802.11n wireless adapter.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you tried the homeplugs adjacent to each other? You should be getting over 30Mbps so something is not right.
On the other hand...
[quote=http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/powerline-networking/266128/billion-bipac-2071]
Verdict:
The BiPAC 2071 adaptors are cleverly designed, but they're expensive and performance is disappointing
With tested throughput of 52Mbit/s, the BiPAC 2071 adaptors are faster than most wireless connections, but slower than other 200Mbit/powerline kit we've tested.
Do I take it there might be one of the very good TP-Link ones going cheap? I'm happy with my three and need a 4th one.
ToeKnee60
Grafter

When I replaced my son's Billion BiPAC 2071 with a BiPAC 2074 which has a filtered power socket and plugged his computer into that socket I managed to increase his Internet download speed slightly to 20 Mb/s. This is still a lot slower than the likely wireless connection speed.
I tried both a TP-Link TL-PA211 or a BiPAC 2071 connected to the router and both gave about the same speed when measured from his computer.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It all depends on the quality of the wiring.
I can achieve (on a good day) 8 MBytes/sec or roughly 65Mbps = my fibre download speed.
That's using two plugs only - which claim to be Gigabit plugs.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."