Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions on changes to Terms and Conditions

Mand
Grafter

Re: Discussions on changes to Terms and Conditions

Quote from: penfold
Just a quickie....
I took the offer of stay for 12months, and get 3pound off a month.  I presume as I am getting money off my product, I will still be tied into this 12month contract, or are you stopping this offer, or will I be eligible to get out of the contract (Not that I am thinking of doing that, just curious). Have never had any hardware from you.

We're still reviewing this policy, more news as I have it.
mal0z
Grafter

That's a very high price for a BT technician to remove a pair of wires from the distribution frame. One minutes work at most.
And it's not as if they would have to make a special trip - we see Openreach vans parked outside our village exchange on a weekly or more frequent basis.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have just received an email that talks a lot about PN's phone service.
I don't use PN's phone service
Buried deeply in this email is
If you’d like to find out more, and for more information on the changes to our
Home Phone service, we’ve put together an FAQ on our website:
http://www.plus.net/go.html/faq_bb

Provided I click on this link, I will find, under a heading of
Find out more about our updated Home Phone products
Firstly, we're reducing the notice required to end our service to 10 days for broadband and phone. This is currently 30 days.
Previously we had 18 month contracts on our 'Value' and 'Unlimited' products which meant that if you left before the 18 month contract ended, you would have been liable to pay an early termination charge which was calculated as any outstanding subscription charges until the contract end date

What is the notice period on BBYW contracts?
If you want to make changes to broadband conditions, it would be nice if this wasn't buried in some talk about phone lines.
Furthermore, changes to T&C should be expressed in an immutable form - a web link isn't good enough.
Or will a follow up email/letter etc be forthcoming?
It seems that the changes to the notice conditions have been buried.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
If you want to make changes to broadband conditions, it would be nice if this wasn't buried in some talk about phone lines.

FWIW, I totally agree with this. The changes to notice period are good news!  Why make it so hard to understand what is being done for broadband-only customers?
Spider
Grafter

Received my email today and the quick glance impression is that is advertising for the Home Phone service not an important email about my T&C's changing for my broadband product.
Len
Grafter

Firstly, we're reducing the notice required to end our service to 10 days for broadband and phone. This is currently 30 days

Clarification please Smiley
This sentence can be read 2 ways ie
The change applies to only  those on a Broadband + Phone package .
or
The change applies to everyone whether on Broadband only OR on a Phone  package.
Len
VileReynard
Hero

Or even that those on the so called "Legacy" packages have to give 30 days notice!

Mand
Grafter

The 10 day notice period applies to all products and services.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
Hang on there's a world of difference! In one case Plusnet are going to be receiving subscriptions for as long as they remain a customer, in the other Plusnet know they are never going to receive another penny from the ex-user.

Yes, indeed there is a world of difference. Current/new customers have, at maximum, a 12 month contract to fulfil in order to avoid the charges various completely. That's a minimum of 12 x monthly payments received by PN and the customer is free to do whatever with no penalty.  PN get to pay all the set-up charges as well as the cost of any equipment.
However, customers who previous paid any one of the several VERY SIGNIFICANTLY higher set-up charges to PN did so several years ago and PN have had the benefit of SEVERAL YEARS worth of regular monthly subscriptions to date.  It hasn't cost PN a penny because they demanded that all of the various charges be paid either up-front or over a 12 month period.
So yes, there is a very big difference - existing long-term customers are effectively being screwed over once again and new(ish) customers are effectively getting a free ride !!  I for one am getting way more than a bit p****d off with effectively subsidising other customers  Sad 
What you say is quite correct of course and that's the business view - encourage new customers and don't give a stuff about existing ones - so it pretty much reinforces the comments that the cease charge is effectively a "lock in" and/or deterrent to requesting a cease for whatever reason there may be.  It's just the latest good excuse from BT to quietly extract more money from customers who, in this case, may need to cease the service.  For long-term customers in particular, it's my view that this charge has effectively already been paid up-front as part of the original set-up fee because there was no such thing as a cease charge back then - it was a one-off all inclusive charge.  So far as PN are concerned, they've already had way more in subscriptions to date than perhaps the majority of set-up charge subsidised customers are ever likely to pay any time soon and they've given said customers free equipment into the bargain rather than demanding payment up-front for that as well.  Long-term customers are getting a raw deal by potentially having to pay this additional new(ish) exit charge despite not having the benefit of any sweetener to go with PN in the first place and despite paying handsomely over the years for their service.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
VileReynard
Hero

When PN introduced these "unlimited" contracts, they insisted that "for budgetary reasons" it was absolutely essential that an 18 month contract be imposed.
They were unshakeable on these, with regard to new customers.
But now they say that this 18 month affair was all nonsense (due to Ofcom). Smiley
Will PN be looking for further revenue streams?

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
But now they say that this 18 month affair was all nonsense (due to Ofcom). Smiley ......

Why do you say "due to Ofcom"? Is there something I haven't seen?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From the email as copied to the announcements board
In addition, Ofcom (the industry regulator), has recently issued some new guidance to broadband and phone providers and we’ve incorporated their recommendations into the terms and conditions for your products. Some terms and conditions and charges relating to broadband cessation have also changed and these have been included as well. If you’d like to find out more, and for more information on the changes to your Home Phone service, we’ve put together an FAQ on our website:
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thank you OJ. I hadn't made the connection.
I was going to ask WHY (as I did before) but expected to get ignored as before,
All I can say is .... that's Bu****ed the Balance Sheet and the Bonus Plan!  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just think what it will do to the parent company phone packages with a rolling 12 month contract  Crazy
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Quote from: itsme
What are the 0845 and 0870 charges for users on PN VoIP service? Can we assume that these are inclusive?

I've had confirmation on this now, VoIP calls won't be included in the changes, and charges will remain at the current rates.

Quote from: Oldjim
Ofcom, the industry regulator, has issued a ruling about call charges which states that 0870 numbers should be charged at the same rate as calls to geographic numbers (that's numbers starting 01, 02 and 03).

I don't understand - doesn't the Ofcom ruling apply to the Broadband Phone service?
Bob