Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions on changes to Terms and Conditions

Mand
Grafter

Re: Discussions on changes to Terms and Conditions

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Why does it take so long to despatch emails - I get at least a fifty a day from the spammers!

We send in batches to assess the impact, and ensure we don't cause problems to standard work in the CSC with an influx of calls.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: reserved
Will the changes to 0870 & 0845 numbers being included in call packages apply to Madasafish and Greenbee customers as well?

0870 calls will be included for MAAF and Greenbee.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: onlyme
So Anytime 240 customers, like me, don't get free calls to 0845 numbers.  This isn't fair, why can't we be included?

Anytime 240 is a legacy product.
We don't generally make changes to products which are no longer on sale, you'd need to move to one of the newer phone products to get 0845 included.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: fp
Quote from: jelv
BT charge Plusnet. AIUI an (Openreach?) engineer has to do physical work in the exchange to remove ADSL from the line (and no, they can't just turn it off in case the next user of the line wants it because LLU is wired to the LLU suppliers equipment, not the BT Wholesale equipment; doing that would give BTW an unfair advantage and would be against OFCOM regulations).

All work has to be for, even flicking a switch, so I accept that someone has to pay, somehow: general or specific charge.  I would prefer a 'startup' charge, over which I have control, rather an exit charge, which increases continually.  It seems simply ridiculous.

Most customers never incur a cease charge, as it's only applied when a broadband service is fully cancelled. Most customers leaving us migrate their services away, so the cessation charge doesn't apply.
I appreciate customers moving house for instance may find it harsh, but personally I prefer a charge that is applied only when necessary, rather than not charging it and regaining the loss other ways (increases in subscription for example, where everyone pays for something which only applies to a few).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My understanding is that you must charge (no more than) local call rates (01, 02, 03) for 0845, 0870 numbers.
At any time.
The same applies to those on BT.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mand
Grafter

The ruling only applies to 0870, however we're also including 0845 on the latest Plusnet phone products.
mikeb
Rising Star

Not directly related to the PN recently announced changes as such but maybe something yet to be announced Wink How do these 0870 changes affect things like the fax2email service or perhaps more to the point, how are they going to affect the PN service sometime perhaps fairly soon(ish) ? 
At the mo, PN (or whoever) presumably get a cut of the 087x call cost and it's often a relatively expensive call in any case. If telecom service providers in general are having to reduce the call charges back in line with 01/2/3 numbers and not only is the PN (or whoever) cut not going to be there in the future but it could perhaps even cost them money per 087x incoming call then I can see some significant changes afoot !  Is the fax2email service likely to be withdrawn completely (as opposed to just being quietly dropped from just about all fairly recent products), will it become a chargeable feature for existing users or are all 0870 numbers currently being used going to subsequently be changed over to an alternative premium(ish) rate number (e.g. 0844 style) or something similar ?  The service has to be paid for somehow by someone and if the 0870 changes remove any income as such then presumably this will have to be found from elsewhere !
TBH, I'm not personally *that* concerned/happy/excited/whatever about 0870 numbers being included in any free call allowance for a phone product be that with PN or otherwise as I can see most companies and call centres etc who currently make money from the 1000's of customers listening to the "your call is important to us, all our operators are busy, please hold and your call will be answered shortly" every day will be dumping their 0870 numbers if they haven't already done so. The fact that 0870 is being forced back into line with what it was originally intended to be - a non-specific location but national rate chargeable call - is a good thing of course but it seems to me that 087x numbers in general become more than a bit unattractive in perhaps the majority of cases if there isn't going to be any revenue generated by them.
However, as I said when it first appeared, I do think that the broadband cessation charge stinks although PN passing the BT charge on is sort-of understandable I suppose.  A customer pays (in one way or another) to have the service installed in the first place, pays for the on-going service per month, complies with any minimum duration in the contract but than has to pay once again to stop using it. It's just yet another BT rip-off in my view but then again, BT and rip-offs always have gone hand-in-hand !  I paid a small fortune to have my BB connection "set-up" many years back and I had to pay it all up-front to PN. There was no deferred charges of any kind. I also had a lengthy contract (or needed to pay a higher monthly charge for a shorter contract) and I had to pay up-front and in full for any equipment supplied etc.  Yet despite having personally paid the full whack and more for my service at day 1, I still have to pay again to cease it should I ever choose to do so. That's just not right having been screwed senseless in the beginning Sad  Customers who paid a very significant "setup" charge some years ago should not have to also pay the current cease charge as it was not part of the initial contract and it was presumably also included in the very much larger "setup" charges made at that time in any case.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
barquerole
Grafter

Quote from: Mand

If you pay upfront for setup and hardware you're no longer within any contract, so can leave with 10 days notice. The website will be updated shortly.

Whilst changing the arrangements for termination, what about making it possible to be able to raise a ticket for a MAC code, at the same time removing writing in as one of the options for having to get one?  Roll_eyes
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Having read this thread through, I must confess to having to prop up my Jaw.
I have to commend the PlusNet reps who lurk here on communicating our views to the decision makers, and in the sme breath, thank the decision makers for taking these bold decisions. Credit must also go to the strength of this forum in making things happen.
Just a suggestion to the Mods. There are several sub-threads jumbled up here and it would help the discussion if these were split into separate threads. For instance, Barquerole makes a very valid and constructive suggestion in his/her post above this one and I would hat to see it get lost.
Mand
Grafter

@mikeb, not sure but I'll ask.
@barquerole, I'm sure we've discussed this before ;), as far as I'm aware there is no immediate plan to change the MAC request process, but we are looking at a complete overhaul of the Help Assistant, so it may be possible to make some changes there. No timescales as yet, or commitment that it can be done though, although I'll certainly ask.
@Wheel_nut, thanks, good to see we've proved that we do pass feedback on, and we do take this into account when making changes in projects. Smiley
Santiago
Grafter

So I am clear on this. As an existing customer on a monthly legacy product not requiring a router, I could now swap to unlimited and then leave at any time giving ten days notice at no addition cost unless I have a cease charge?
Mand
Grafter

Yep, when the changes roll out that will be the case.
fp
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Most customers never incur a cease charge, as it's only applied when a broadband service is fully cancelled. Most customers leaving us migrate their services away, so the cessation charge doesn't apply.
I appreciate customers moving house for instance may find it harsh, but personally I prefer a charge that is applied only when necessary, rather than not charging it and regaining the loss other ways (increases in subscription for example, where everyone pays for something which only applies to a few).

I am not comfortable being locked into an unknown future charge (I suppose I know it will increase) and the only way out is to pay the charge at the current level. 
Where is the incentive to keep the cessation charge down.  It just increased 25% in a time of recession, 2% inflation and negative RPI.
Yes, I can understand why you favour lock-in over customer choice. 
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote tag fixed ]
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
I have to commend the PlusNet reps who lurk here on communicating our views to the decision makers, and in the sme breath, thank the decision makers for taking these bold decisions.

I wish to totally endorse that. As one who was very vocal about the 18 month contracts - both here and over on PUG - I'm glad to see this.
Thanks PN
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

So say I, and thanks to Mand for fielding the questions, again!
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)