cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy between wireless signal on different computers

Havel
Grafter

Discrepancy between wireless signal on different computers

I just switched to Plusnet yesterday. My PC on the other side of the room from the router has an "excellent" signal strength and has no issues. My laptop just a few feet from the router switches constantly between "wireless connection unavailable", and a full wireless signal but with a speed of only 1.1Mbps - 5.5Mbps compared to the 54Mbps and flawless constant connection I used to get with my old O2 router. All the time this happens my PC connection remains unaffected. My laptop is an old Dell running XP and with a Broadcom wireless device. Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it?
4 REPLIES 4
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Discrepancy between wireless signal on different computers

Try moving your laptop to another room and see if the signal stays stable - it may be that the signal is too strong when you are that close to the router.
Havel
Grafter

I don't think it's related to proximity to the router. Wherever the laptop is in the room the popblem persists, and taking the laptop to another room only results in the signal going from 4 to 2 bars. With a 4 bar signal my speed is currently 2Mbps when it used to be 54Mbps.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some older wireless adapters have "issues" with higher security levels, especially WPA-2, due to drivers and/or hardware problems.
Not sure what the router supports, but trying using WEP on the laptop for starters, failing that "standard" WPA.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could also try disabling 11n on the router if you don't have any 11n devices.
Also try a shorter wireless network name (SSID). PlusnetWirelessABCDEF is too long for some devices.