cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects on Fibre broadband

cpembo78
Dabbler

Disconnects on Fibre broadband

I wonder if anyone could help ive had fibre optic broadband for the last few months, overall i love it, however over the last four weeks ive been getting random disconnects. The DSL light on the modem (bt openreach branded) goes off or flashes and my router obviously loses the connection, i then reset the modem and router and after a while they reconnect.  This is frustrating as i am sometimes in the middle of a game on battlefield 3 or maybe watching a movie from netflix. My first thoughts was that maybe my pc was stressing the connection but ive noticed it disconnects whilst my pc is off as ive seen the DSL light go off while ive not been using any internet/pcs.
The disconnects seem to be getting more and more frequent and more frustrating!
Help please.
19 REPLIES 19
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Disconnects on Fibre broadband

Early BT Openreach modems were prone to overheating, the later ones are better, this sounds like it could be an overheating problem (despite the weather).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi,
My first gen OpenReach modem (wall mounted vertically) went through the same phase during a hot spell.  A 6in desk fan blowing through it kept it alive until the replacement came a few days later.  The constant DSL disconnects also wiped 15M off the sync speed which was reset by the OR Eng.
The replacement modem (June - ish) was the same type and so I still have the fan blowing on warm days Sad This one hasn't lost sync, but then again I don't let it get hot!
I'm luckily having the replacement new style modem delivered/installed tomorrow, so hopefully the fan can be put away!
If you look at the underside of the router on the silver model number label, does it have any bold letters in the top right hand corner like 2B ?
Mine has nothing, but I believe the 'good ones' have either 2B or 3B in bold and the 3B apparently has a white PSU...
Pete
cpembo78
Dabbler

I have noticed when ive been resetting that the modem is paticularly hot.  not a great deal i can do as far as relocation goes ive got it sat on my desk so its not near anything that gets warm and all around it is clear.
Mine has no 2B or 3B on it  it has nothing.  the psu is black.  Wonder if ive got a dud.  how do i go about changing?
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi,
Sounds like you have the same old version.  As to replacement, BT OpenReach started a program of replacing the old with new 'heat proof' types as per 2B/3B via Kelly Communications.
I found on the Forum mention that PN were doing the same (Keyy Comms) and that letters were being issued soon and mine came yesterday to book a slot for them to install (presumably wall mounting being required) and test/reset etc.
I think it was relevant to anyone who had FTTC installed prior to September last year - doubtless someone will correct that date if wrong Smiley
But do try a fan on it as it restored mine to useable whilst the first one was being swapped out.
Cheers,
Pete
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: cpembo78
I have noticed when ive been resetting that the modem is paticularly hot.  not a great deal i can do as far as relocation goes ive got it sat on my desk so its not near anything that gets warm and all around it is clear.

One thing you can do to improve things, is to mount it vertically on a wall (or a piece of wood), so the word "Openreach" on the label can be read normally.
Don't block any of the slots though - you need to have a flow of air in from the bottom slots and out through the top ones.
Mine has no 2B or 3B on it  it has nothing.  the psu is black.  Wonder if ive got a dud.  how do i go about changing?

That will be the old one - and it does sound dud.
You can wait for a letter & make an appointment with Kelly, or you can phone the fault in to the support guys (mentioning fibre, the disconnections, and the heat), and make sure they organise a change. It will mean an appointment with an Openreach engineer.
If, as a result of the disconnections, the modem is now syncing slower, you will need to mention that to the Openreach engineer, and ask him to phone through for the DLM to be reset. This will save you having to wait for the line to clear itself - which will take ages, and cannot be organised by anyone other than the Openreach engineer on-site!
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
cpembo78
Dabbler

ok ive relocated the modem as advised, will see what happens.      Going to give it a couple of days, will post if problems solved or not.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cpembo78,
How's it faired since?
Jojo Smiley
cpembo78
Dabbler

so far so good , but not been in much over last day or two    will post back
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cpembo78,
Hope it's been behaving and things are going well, have you been able to arrange an appointment to swap it out yet?
cpembo78
Dabbler

The disconnects continue, not as bad but still frustrating.    How exactly do i arrange a swap? ive had no letter or anything.  

My other problem thats begining to show is that since ive signed up to netflix i have gone through my monthly allowance very quickly and am now having to manage my usage Very carefully!  I cant find any options to upgrade above the 40gb cap, this is quickly going to become an issue as the kids are constanly asking to watch things on netflix.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I would have thought you could upgrade to Extra Fibre using the Product Change link: http://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?memberheader=upgrade
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cpembo78
Dabbler

Thanks walker  i think ill do the upgrade once ive got the disconnects sorted,  my speed seems slower as well now, probably due to disconnects.
cpembo78
Dabbler

And so the disconnects continue.  Sad
Trying the fan method that was mentioned and i think ill have to give tech support a ring.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@cpembo78
Yes, I'd advise contacting support. Where as it does sound like the modem could be a problem I wouldn't want for you to have to wait until you've had a letter from Kelly Comms or alternatively it be caused by something else altogether. Don't forget you can go <a href="https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults">here</a> if you don't want to call.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team