cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects, low sync, repairs, still a problem?

chaoticmess
Grafter

Disconnects, low sync, repairs, still a problem?

Hi,
I’m looking for advice and guidance on what I should do with a problem I think I’ve still got.
Last February my connection got enabled for ADSL2+, over the course of a week the speeds increased and stabilized to this:
--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG320N
Firmware Version: 1.00.12 , 2010-03-22T10:51:43
Boot Version: 1.06
Hardware Version: 0.01
--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI:        0/38
DSL Status:          Showtime
DSL Mode:            ADSL2+
DSL Channel:       
DSL Upstream Rate:  1263 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 15968 Kbps
                                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    6.1 dB      5.8 dB
DSL Attenuation:    26.5 dB      13.9 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  0.0 dBm    12.8 dBm
Then over the next 2 weeks the connection slowly got to this:
--- DSL Information ---
DSL Channel:       
DSL Upstream Rate:  1204 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 18092 Kbps
                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    6.0 dB      6.2 dB
DSL Attenuation:    26.0 dB      14.2 dB
So from about mid march till November things were fine.
Then I think it was early November at about 1 in the morning my router disconnected. It came back 2 minutes later and was fine. 20 minutes later after that it disconnected again. It continued to randomly disconnect again and again for about 3 hours and the downstream rate started to drop. I think it got to about the 14000 Kbps range before the disconnections stopped in a continuous fashion on that night. Over time I had hoped if I left it the rate would rise again accepting at the time that something had happened to the line to make it disconnect a number of times and now I would need to wait for it to put the rate back up again.
However much to my annoyance the rate didn’t go back up it instead slowly kept going down. It got the point during mid December that it was syncing at around 6000kbps that I tried putting a telephone on the line and listening for problems. I was actually pleased to hear bad crackling. So I called up BT and got an engineer to come out to sort the problem. According to him the line was fixed when he left and there was no crackling anymore. I couldn’t ascertain if he had fixed my broadband issue at the time though because it was going to take a while for the rate to go back up.
My problem now is the rates have gone back up but not as high as what I originally had. I’m now stuck with:
--- DSL Information ---
DSL Channel:       
DSL Upstream Rate:  1175 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 16594 Kbps
                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    6.1 dB      6.3 dB
DSL Attenuation:    26.0 dB      13.6 dB
What’s concerning me is I’ve had a WAG320N on the end since well passed Feb last year but I also have a Vigor 2800 which I tried attaching for the last week. I wanted to connect it as it gives slightly more info for diagnostic purposes then the WAG320N does.
The vigor lets me see if it’s disconnected when I’m asleep and not using the connection which has happened a few times during the last week. What has me concerned though is the amount of uncorrected blocks the vigor displays. Often it’s in the 10-30,000 range if it’s managed to stay stable for 9-12 hours and in a few cases I’ve seen it have 2000 in less than 5 minutes. With the WAG320N not telling me if I was getting this before things went wrong I’m now not sure if this was normal or not.
Yesterday is what has finally got me making this post. The connection completely dropped and the SNR was going erratic from 1.5-6.0 but along with that I had 200000 uncorrected blocks in about 9 minutes. After about an hour the connection stabilized again yet the downstream rate bizarrely went up when the router finally achieved a stable sync. It’s now at 16594kbps (Before yesterday’s problem the highest it achieved was 16036kbps and had been steady at that for a week). But now the Uncorrected blocks stays very low and I’m now getting as I type: 19820 corrected blocks within 2 hours of connection up time. I’ve never seen corrected blocks before! Why am I suddenly correcting them? Is that good or bad?
To be honest I’m not sure what I’m exactly saying here. All I want is my connection back at 18092 Kbps again and to understand what’s going on and if I still have a problem or not. If I had 18092 Kbps without issue for months shouldn’t I be able to get that back? Is it just a random thing and my line is absolutely fine but my new ‘normal’ is now 16594 Kbps? Do the uncorrected blocks indicate there is a problem? Or I should say now; do the corrected blocks indicate there is a problem still?
I guess what I’m looking for is either reassurance things are in fact ok or failing that something along the lines of ‘Ah yes you need to re-adjust the flux capacitor using the discombobulating ray while merging 2 points of the space time continuum together into one unified point’.
My Plusnet current line speed is: 13 Mb. During the summer last year it was 15Mb.
I’ve replaced the filter with an XF-1e and I’m connected via the master socket.
BT diag results:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
12.23 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 12.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.79 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.79Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

Any help appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Disconnects, low sync, repairs, still a problem?

Hi chaoticmess,
I've had a look at your connection and can see nothing obvious that is causing the drops and the change in sync speed. I'd suggest running through the steps at http://faults.plus.net (it looks like you've already done the checks) and our faults team can investigate this further for you.