Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Disconnections

Hi
I've been having to reboot the rooter quite a bit recently as I've lost connection. It feels like its getting to be most mornings when I start the PC I'm faced with a message saying no connection on the rooter. It feels like its been worse the last couple of days since the violent Thunderstorms earlier in the week but that might be my imagination playing tricks on me.
I know all the stuff about connecting to my master socket and good internal wiring. I chose not to connect ot the mastert because of the domestic setup and particularly the location of existing extensions and more particularly my sons XBox which is located about as far from the master Socket as its possible to get. We want to keep a wired XBox connection to the rooter. I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of performance (Speed) for the convenience of having things where I want, rather than designing my home around the Broadband - its important but not the most important thing to me.
Currently I sync anywhere between 4600 and 6100 depending on time of day etc etc and the noise margin on the rooter is around 4-6.
The other stat is down stream attenuation is always 41.5
So there's the background.
I thought that as I was disconnecting quite frequently the exchange would see that and to compensate, BT  would set a higher noise margin. I thought this would give me more resiliance so that it would not drop connection but it always starts out a 6.
I might be barking up the wrong tree though and have misunderstood the concepts that govern all this..
Hope that's not too much of a ramble. The bottom line is Dont really want to mess with the wiring, Dont really want to keep rebooting, would happily sacriface a bit of my 4500 ip profile  for a stable reliable connection.
Any tips?  please dont say plug into the master socket or replace all the internal wiring as I'd rather keep restarting the rooter every day or so than be bothered with the consequences.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disconnections

Which router have you got.
The router should not need rebooting due to a loss of connection it should resync automatically - my first guess is a router problem
the_groundsman
Rising Star

I might be using the wrong language here Jim
I have Belkin router which I leave on all the time. I wake the PC from standby, it finds the router, I check the EMail. If Outlook returns an error. I open the routers home page and see it says Not Connected in Red in the top righthand corner rather than Connected.
I then restart the router and 99% it then says connected and all is fine.
The routers around3-4 years old but this has been a regulr thing since I moved from a fixed 2mbps line to max about 12 months ago ( was really quite nervous about that change but as you see Ive doubled my speed as a result.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not familiar with that router but it should reconnect automatically.
Is there a setting to allow this.
I suspect that what is happening is that the router is losing sync overnight due to a drop in noise margin and isn't automatically reconnecting.
Is there a router log which gives details of loss of connection against time
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your Belkin an F5D9630-4? When I had one of those it would never reconnect without a reboot after sync was lost, even though it was trying to. Changing the firmware didn't fix the problem. The problem went away when I changed to a Netgear.
David
the_groundsman
Rising Star

It's a F5D7633-4
There is an option in the connection settings to "dial on demand" I might see if that makes a difference
the_groundsman
Rising Star

This is getting worse and worse. Almost every morning and evening needs a restart and there is no alternative to rebooting the router, so I've given it a second yellow card. I am off to the transfer market for a bargain but don't want to end up wasting money on a rash  purchase.
Netgear DG834G ?
Any recommendations
Reliability and ease of set up would be my main criteria -  cheap would be handy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you can get the V4 I thoroughly recommend it - under £30 on Ebay