Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections and slow speed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Disconnections and slow speed

Ah. I see what you've posted, but the second graph doesn't make sense yet, I'll look again.
Anotherone
Champion

The 2nd graph says it's Tx Noise but the scale is wrong. Can you go into RS (Routerstats) configuration Graphs tab again and have a look at the limits for for all the values. Should be something like 0 to 20 (now) for Rx Noise, 0 to 12000 for Rx Sync, you shouldn't have defined the 2 user ones unless it was Attenuation as the Tx settings are automatic on the graphs tabs themselves. You only need to set whether you plot and capture Tx graphs.
Anotherone
Champion

Also just to confirm, if you go to the RS Configuration Login Tab, you've obviously got DG834 v1,2,3,4 selected, can you confirm that the Login url is showing http and not telnet?
If you can come back with confirmation on those last few post queries, then I'll suggest what to do next.
ratbag
Grafter

I've attached a screen shot of the settings, just in case I'm misunderstanding. EDIT: Definitely http.
ratbag
Grafter

Forgot to say that plotting is checked on the tx tab. The graph is just flat at '0' since "the event".
Anotherone
Champion

Well that's certainly odd, something must have got RS plotting knickers in a twist with that scale. Anyway I think the next step would be a complete restart.
Can't remember on the v4, when you log into it have you obviously have the Show Statistics, if you could post the full stats from that before shutting down but do you have the Connection Status one, where it will show Connection Time, IP address, and etc with Connect and Disconnect buttons at the bottom if you have.
If so, after you post the Show Statistics info, go to the Connection Status and click Disconnect. Wiat about a minute and then pull the 834 power plug. Also close Routerstats.
Wait about another minute and then unplug from the line. If you think one of your other filters may be a better qualirty, swap over, remembering what I said about the plug in and out a few times to help clean contacts of any oxidation. Whilst you are about it, if you haven't already checked make sure the incoming BT cable connections on the backof the NTE5 are secure, not corroded etc. Were they screw terminals or IDC?
Anyway, all in all stay off-line for about 10 minutes minimum, it won't matter if you take a bit longer.
After that connect up again and power up. You may need to login to the 834 if you clicked Disconnect before going off and click on Connect on the Connection Status page as it may not reconnect automatically.
Restart Routerstats and also post the full Show Statistics info.
In the meanwhile I'll draft a couiple more additions to RS settings that may yield some further useful data.
ratbag
Grafter

The router has the disconnect button in the connection status dialog. You don't have to reconnect afterwards it does it automatically. Here are the current stats before the restart:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4698 kbps 928 kbps
Line Attenuation 42.5 db 21.0 db
Noise Margin 17.0 db 6.9 db
I'll follow your shutdown routine and will clean all connection in filter, router and PC. The line coming in goes to screw terminals and they looked okay and weren't corroded. I checked these the other day when either you or Kevin (or maybe Chris) asked me to check the type of cable and wire colouring of the incoming line. I'll post back with the new stats once all that is done. Wish me luck, I may be gone some time...
Anotherone
Champion

Good Luck.
ratbag
Grafter

We're back up and running, all connections de-oxit'ed if there is such a word and plugged in and out a few times. Current stats from router:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7645 kbps 1119 kbps
Line Attenuation 42.5 db 21.0 db
Noise Margin 6.3 db 5.7 db
Routerstats looks odd though. Overlayed rx sync speed on the graph is showing about 12.8 and not 7.645 EDIT: Sorry, I was reading the dB scale, need a break from this I think. tx graph is still showing 0dB instead of about 5.8dB that router says. I did close down and restart routerstats for this procedure.
Barry.
Anotherone
Champion

Well I'm glad we had no horrors with the exchange DLM. The stats don't look too bad at present.
Before we try anything else then, all I can think of is stop Routerstats. Go on the Configuration tab and go through each page and check the settings are correct as per Kevin's post #78 EXCEPT the login address is not Telnet and it's preselected for you. Also ignore the Bitloading stuff, the setup is different for the 834v4 and I'll come back to that.
ratbag
Grafter

Okay, done. Was there something else I should set up for the 834 v4? I started it running at 8:30PM and will leave it running again.
Many thanks,
Barry.
Anotherone
Champion

Have the graphs started plotting correctly now?
If so, try the following and we'll see if we can get the bit loading stuff.
I'd click on the Stop before making the changes.
Back to the RS Configuration & once open on the RHS you'll see the tab marked Telnet, select that.
Now there are 2 tabs, Netgear settings and Experimental settings.
On the Netgear settings, select Enable Telnet. The next box, Automatically disable router debug is probably pre-ticked, if not tick it.
Select the Netgear version 4 in the next box, and below select Errors during the latest 15 minutes. On the RHS tick remember Y-axis limits.
Click Apply & Save.
On the Experimental tab, the Enable telnet with the http 'debug' command should be ticked. The boxes below should be pre-filled and the Chipset should be Broadcom.
On the RHS tick Obtain Statusbar WAN Uptime from telnet, tick Disconnect when Stop button is pressed and Retry if timeout. Mode Auto should be selected. Click Apply & Save and then close the Configuration window.
Back on the main Tabs, select Telnet Router, then >Bits/Tone tab, then >Options tab
The select Refresh every 10 seconds, tick the box below 'Don't refresh ....when minimised...", tick Show Vertical grid lines,. select Ramp.
Clip SNR values 20 & 0. On the RHS,  X-axis 250 Y-axis 10, tick adjust y-axis automatically.
Now goto the "Bits & SNR / Tone" tab on the same row on the left hand end and tick the box in the bottom left of the graph to plot, also Auto Refresh below that.
OK go back to the normal Noise Margin tab, then click the green arrow above and check it's plotting OK then go back to the "Bits & SNR / Tone" and hopefully that will have plotted the Bits/Tone. If so, right click, Capture now and then post a copy.
Anotherone
Champion

With a bit of luck your Bits/Tone plot will look something similar to the attached
ratbag
Grafter

Sorry, been doing other things. I'll try and set routerstats up like you suggest now so it will work through the night. The tx graph is still just plotting '0' though.
ratbag
Grafter

This is what I get. EDIT: Wrong one, try again: