cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections and slow speed

ratbag
Grafter

Re: Disconnections and slow speed

I've just checked the wiring inside the remaining 2 sockets in the chain and the wiring seems fine, checked the screws and they are tight. Only the blue/white, white/blue and orange are connected on these. These wires are all solid core by the way. I'm going to take this laptop and my router back upstairs and check the stats again but without any phones connected.
Are the filters to prevent interference on the phone from the internet or vice versa?
EDIT: Router stats with router connected to the last socket in the chain (its normal place):
Downstream:
Connection Speed: 4905 kbps
Line Attenuation: 42.5 db
Noise Margin: 6.3 db
Upstream:
Connection Speed: 440 kbps
Line Attenuation: 21 db
Noise Margin: 27.8 db
Barry.
EDIT2:
current stats with all phones removed:
Downstream:
Connection Speed: 646 kbps
Line Attenuation: 40.0 db
Noise Margin: 29.8 db
Upstream:
Line Attenuation: 21.4 db
Noise Margin: 21.3 db
Barry.
EDIT3:
Tested speed on each socket. It gets progressively lower further down the chain. At the master socket it was up to 7??? kbps and at the last socket in the chain (the one where it is used) it's now showing 3990 kbps. It's all over the place so I think I'll leave for today unless you chaps come up with anything. Thanks again,
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Barry,
Brilliant investigative work!  Cheesy  There is a lot below to think about... so you might want to print it out and cross off the bits when you've done / considered them.
I think there are a number of things going on here, which together are contributing to a problematic experience.
1. Noise on the line - this can come and go, it might not be there all of the time, which rather fits with you perception of intermittent disconnections and at times difficulty in reconnecting.  Have you noticed any correlation between incoming or out going calls and the internet disconnecting.  Or for that matter an incoming call making the internet reconnect?  Either of these circumstances point to a circuit fault.  When you have connectivity problems or very slow performance, re-do the quiet line test.  Is PlusNet your phone provider?
2. Switching the router off "when you do not need it" will not help at all in the circumstance where there are other issues giving rise to disconnections.  It will cause the line management system (DLM) to raise the SNRM and depress the synch speed.  It having been 15dB before Chris did the reset is clear evidence that your line has been aggressively managed by the DLM.  We need to avoid this happening whilst trying to fix other issue.
3. I'm a bit concerned by the marked difference in the line's attenuation - in effect it means that the line's (electrical) length changed between the first stats (before SNRM reset with the router in the normal location) and those when in the test socket.  The final set (back in the normal location) show the same higher attenuation as that reported in the second set.  Really do need Chris' expertise on this one.
4. Your internal extension wiring is doing you no favours.  The fairly good 7446kbps seen at the test socket has been knocked back to 4095kbps at the end of your extensions - both at a similar SNRM.  This needs to be addressed after any line issues have been fixed.
5. From the information provided, I cannot tell if you are on 20CN or 21CN service and if the latter which modulation is in use.  If you are on 21CN then somewhere along the way from here to being fixed, uncapping you US rate should be considered for the job list.

I would suggest the following as a move forward plan - as ever everything is subject to DCT (PlusNet) approval / confirmation...
1. Can you live with the router and a phone plugged into the NTE5 test socket for a good while (we might be looking at two weeks!)?  This will eliminate all of your internal wires / sockets etc. from the problem and anything that is left is likely to be a BTOR issue.  Use the filter which gave a better noise level.
2. Can you please leave the router switched on 24x7?
3. Either phone PN support or run the broadband trouble shooter here - http://faults.plus.net - I suggest that you report slow speeds, as the "disconnections" route "bails out" if at the time of testing you are connected OK  Crazy
When the line has been given a clean bill of health we can return to the other matters.
Question - Is you other line's NTE5 in the location where you really want your router?  If the answer is yes, then it might just be possible to get BTOR to swap the drop wires IF the do a site visit.  It might mean fiddling with your extensions to switch them to the other NTE5, but it will mean that you can have the router where you want it and it being connected direct to the NTE5.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Kevin,
The OP has raised a fault so we'll pick this up as part of the usual process.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the update - at least he's got a good profile on the scope of the issues now.  Wink

@Barry,
Good luck, do let me know how you get on with this.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ratbag
Grafter

Thanks Kevin for all your time and help.
First: "The OP has raised a fault so we'll pick this up as part of the usual process."
Oh. I started to raise a fault yesterday, but got to the point where it asked "if I had a good connection now" and I gave up as I did have a good connection but who's to say it wouldn't disconnect again in 5 minutes, an hour, 2 hours like it had been doing. I should have raised a slow speed fault I think like you said Kevin. Does this mean that plusnet are looking into it despite me not finishing the questionnaire?
Anyway, to answer a few of your questions/suggestions:
"Have you noticed any correlation between incoming or out going calls and the internet disconnecting..."
Actually, the phone is rarely used. I usually have no calls in or out per month, so I haven't seen any evidence of that.
"Your internal extension wiring is doing you no favours..." Is it the wrong type of wire or the length? The main socket and the router socket couldn't be further away from each other unfortunately.
"Can you live with the router and a phone plugged into the NTE5 test socket for a good while (we might be looking at two weeks!)?"
That's really tricky. I'd like to avoid it if possible.
"Can you please leave the router switched on 24x7?"
Yes, I will do from now on though it's been on and off a few times today with all the testing!
"Either phone PN support or run the broadband trouble shooter here..."
Right, I'll look into it again tomorrow. EDIT: see top of post.
"Is you other line's NTE5 in the location where you really want your router?"
Yes it is, and they didn't remove the wire going to it after I cancelled the line either (cheaper to leave it I suppose) so I wouldn't mind it coming in there, unless, there's a cost! After all, the speed I've been getting the past year since being on the other socket has been good enough.
"Is PlusNet your phone provider?"
Yes, for about a year.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: ratbag
"Your internal extension wiring is doing you no favours..." Is it the wrong type of wire or the length? The main socket and the router socket couldn't be further away from each other unfortunately.
"Is you other line's NTE5 in the location where you really want your router?"
Yes it is, and they didn't remove the wire going to it after I cancelled the line either (cheaper to leave it I suppose) so I wouldn't mind it coming in there, unless, there's a cost! After all, the speed I've been getting the past year since being on the other socket has been good enough.

Hi Barry,
I think PN have picked up the ball on this now - it matters not how you reported it, there is enough information here to help them.  There is probably a noise issue, certainly a speed issue and maybe a REIN issue, but for the moment we'll leave that alone.
Your internal wiring is not ideal, there are two different wiring standards and it appears that the bell wire is connected.  Disconnecting the bell wire (pin 3) has been known to deliver marked improvements.  ADSL is always going to perform better when connected to the main socket.  If there is electrical noise in the area (REIN) then long extension runs can act like an aerial and pick up such interference rather badly.
You might have felt that your speeds have been acceptable, but not aware of just how much better they could be.  For many years I had my router up in the back study on the end of good quality internal extension wiring which I installed (before I knew better) with all six pins wired on 3 pairs.  I got a little over 2Mbps which was well in line with the BTOR estimate for this line.  Somewhere along that way, I had to move the router to the master socket to report / eliminate internal wiring from the equation (not unlike your current situation) and found that the line performed markedly better - 3.5+Mbps.  After the line was fixed it delivered 5.5Mbps when in the master socket.  So I've left it there.  Most of my kit connects over WiFi, that which does not (TV and PVR - recent acquisitions) now connects via LAN over Power (DLan) devices.
All of the Ethernet kit that I used to use in the office is now somewhat defunct (argh all that wasted money!  :() however if I do need to reuse it, I will get another dLan device.
I'm going to let PN get on with helping you now, if you need advice then update here or PM me.
If you do get a BTOR engineer visit arranged, get a packet of hob nobs ready for the visit and make a good brew.  Chat to him / her (by the way the best engineer I've ever had visit was a young woman - I think she was a trainee - I do hope her enthusiasm does not get knocked out of her) and find out what they think is wrong / needs fixing.  If the suggest the DROP WIRE, then ask if it would help / be viable to switch the incoming line to the other socket.  Your extensions can be sorted out from there afterwards.
Do you have DECT cordless phones?  They don't cost too much and could totally eliminate the need for problematic extension wiring.

Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Thanks a lot Kevin, I'll update this thread if anything happens. Maybe I will try disconnecting the bell wire then if it's not needed nowadays. Will wait until after I here from plusnet though. Haven't got/don't want a cordless phone or wifi.
@silver Somewhere in Essex. I'll post back with any progress, but I see your post may be moved now.
Barry.
ratbag
Grafter

Something's happened overnight, speeds are back to normal now. http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ reports a download speed of 3395 kbps (424kB/s) from the previous 282 kbps (35.3kB/s). I hope it stays like it. What happened?
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Barry,
It might be better for the moment.  Chris reset the line (SNRM) and things might remain better until the line coughs again.  Though this is better than what you were getting, it is not as good as it could be due to the internal extension wiring.
Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin,
I see. Not much I can do about the wiring other than have the line coming in moved like we talked about, can't see that happening without a cost. I could probably loose 5 or 6 feet from the cable by moving things around and re-locating the box, would that be worth it do you think? Hard to say I suppose.
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Barry,
Before doing any thing major, I'd do the following...
1. Disconnect the bell wire - pin 3.
2. On each connector, make sure there are no short ends of wire protruding beyond the connector blocks.  A short end of wire 1cm or more can act like a radiating aerial and degrade the signal.  Making sure that the ends are tidy might help improve matters.
Keep an eye on things.  If they seem bad, check your line again for no use.
You seem to have an aversion to wireless - would you care to expand?  Wireless connectivity and a DECT phone could over come your predicament.  For that matter a pair of LAN over power (dLAN) devices could also help here.
Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin,
I must admit I was a bit skeptical about the bell wire, I didn't really expect to see a difference. I removed it from the main socket and took some router statistics before and after:
Before:
Downstream:
Connection Speed: 4071 kbps
Line Attenuation: 39.0 db
Noise Margin: 3.2 db
Upstream:
Line Attenuation: 21.1 db
Noise Margin: 18.8 db
After:
Downstream:
Connection Speed: 6176 kbps
Line Attenuation: 42.5 db
Noise Margin: 6.6 db
Upstream:
Line Attenuation: 21.1 db
Noise Margin: 20 db
The connection speed seems to be significantly improved, I don't know whether the other figures are better or worse!
Thanks a lot,
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Barry,
These figures are VERY interesting and largely positive, but there may be more to be achieved yet - lets hope the PN faults team find something else to look at.  As I've said previously I think you have several issues.
The new noise margin figure is higher that the previous (this is good)  - i conclude that background noise became present between the last restart and the time you took the before stats.  We might need to return to this.
The above combined with the 50% improvement in synch speed strongly suggests that the pick-up of whatever noise there is around has ben reduced by disconnecting the bell wire. Please make sure all your phones still ring!  Cheesy
The increase in the US noise margin is also positive and supports the view that noise pick up has been reduced.
The increase in attenuation is disconcerting, but might be a limitation of my understanding / a facet of how the router measures the attenuation.  Your router does not report modulation type - I'm guessing that a change in modulation / tone usage could change the attenuation figure - it us this figure which determines the expectation for line speed - @43dB it might be 6.3Mbps on a 20CN service or 7.9Mbps on a 21CN service.  Did you try to check what is available to you here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php ?
Your line is now much improved if it remains stable, it might be capable of doing a bit better, will need to keep a watch on things and see what PN find.
Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin,
Since my last post I've tidied up the wiring and relocated the socket for the router which allowed me to loose 5 1/2 feet of cable, and also located the box away from the mains plugs/wiring in case that helps. Anyway, the stats have changed a bit:
Downstream:
Connection Speed  6194 kbps
Line Attenuation  42.5 db
Noise Margin 6.9 db
Upstream:
Connection Speed  440 kbps
Line Attenuation  21.1 db
Noise Margin 19.5 db
I posted some info previously from that link, what info should I be looking for, there's a lot there.
EDIT: Downstream connection speed currently showing  6262 kbps
Many thanks,
Barry.
P.S. I checked the phones, still working! I also forgot to mention that I removed one phone from the system yesterday so now only have two. It was an old phone in the hall that didn't even have tone dialing (or whatever it's called).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Barry,
These new figures are so similar as to be of no material difference.  I think we need to get some stability on your line, so no more intentional disconnects for now.
Have you checked for updates on the fault ticket?

@DCT,
Is this a 21CN service (capped) or is it 20CN?  If the latter, is 21CN capacity available?  if yes, is there merit in upgrading this to 21CN / ADSL2?
Is there anything showing on the fault ticket?

Kevin