Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections and slow speed

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Disconnections and slow speed

Testing the phone line now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I've tested the line and it's showing a fault at the exchange side of the line, so it's been raised to our supplier for resolution. I've also responded to the ticket on your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ratbag
Grafter

Okay ,thanks a lot Chris.
Chris
Legend

No problem. Hopefully this will get fixed quickly.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Barry,
You've had a long litany of issues this year...
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin, indeed! It was alright for a while though
I lost internet connection a while ago, both DSL and internet lights went off on the router. Once the connection re-established, I checked the phone and have a tone again.
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Barry,
Do you have a confirmed resolution?
Can you please post the current modem stats?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin,
No confirmation. Hope they will confirm or otherwise.

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream    
      Connection Speed       7467 kbps       888 kbps  
      Line Attenuation       42.0 db       20.6 db  
      Noise Margin       6.1 db       11.2 db
From experience, that dB value will go down later in the day and it will disconnect and reconnect at a slower speed. Which is fine. You've explained why that happens somewhere here.
The internet's been fine throughout this anyway, it's just the phone that wasn't working.    
Barry.    
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hello Barry, I'm going to have to re-read the thread to get a better picture, but to save me doing it right now, did you sort out your internal wiring? - because the SNRM should not go down sufficiently to cause a disconnect.
Is the Quiet Line Test perfect now?
ratbag
Grafter

Hello anotherone,
Yes, I sorted out the wiring. Internet's been fine for ages, good enough for me anyway.
Chris said the test showed a fault at the exchange side. however, it started working again today and no-one's said that it has been resolved and so I don't know if BT are still coming on Monday or not. If it just started working by itself then that means it will go wrong aging. Hopefully Chris will reads this and let me know the situation.
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Barry,
The reported line speed is rather low for the line's attenuation, so it could well be the case that there is still a phone fault requiring rectification.  IIRC last time around, did the engineer want to replace your drop wire, but you did not have time to spare.  (Might have been in one of the other threads I was dealing with at the time.).
Remember if they decide to look at the drop wire connection then you might get them to swap the line to the other socket in the study.
Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin,
I decided I didn't want the drop wire changed to the other socket as it would cause me to have to do more re-wiring now for phone extensions and it's not something I want or have time to do for now. Currently my stats are:

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream    
      Connection Speed       7467 kbps       888 kbps  
      Line Attenuation       42.0 db       20.6 db  
      Noise Margin       4.9 db       10.7 db    
It's working fine for me. The phone still works and is not noticeably noisy. The thing I'd really like to sort out though is whether the line has been fixed due to me reporting it or whether it has just started working by itself. Plusnet haven't told me that it has been fixed and I don't know if I have to wait in tomorrow in case BT to turn up. I'll have to contact them I suppose.
Barry.