Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections and really slow speeds

LeeSmall
Grafter

Disconnections and really slow speeds

Hi,
I have experienced frequent disconnections (12+ per day) over the past week. The duration of these disconnections are now getting much longer and the speed I do get when I am connected is really bad (96kbs upstream and 200kbs downstream).
I reported a fault on Tuesday but nothing seems to be happening - I have had no feed back and the only update I get when I call in is somebody will call me back.
I have tried 2 different routers (Netgear DG834N and a D-Link), switch cables, etc.  I don't have any microfilters as I have an ADSL V1.0 master socket fitted by BT.
Can somebody please help me or at least give me some idea when the problem is going to be fixed?  I work at home most of the time and without an internet connection I am really stuck.
Thanks
Lee
53 REPLIES 53
LeeSmall
Grafter

Re: Disconnections and really slow speeds

Just been told that I need to wait 72 hours for a response from PlusNet.  Then possibly an additional week to get a BTOR guy out.... that means nearly 2 weeks without broadband.
Not a happy customer....  I just can't understand why it takes Plusnet 72 hours to perform checks before handing it over to BTOR...
I have tried 2 routers, wired and wireless, 2 ADSL RJ11 cables, etc so I am pretty sure it's not a fault at my end.
LeeSmall
Grafter

I have just flashed my Netgear DG834N router with a custom firmware where I can reduced my SNR percentage. If I lower it to around 20% I can just about get a VERY slow connection.
If I leave it at the default I can't get a connection at all.
LeeSmall
Grafter

Just rebooted the router and I now have a better connection speed Smiley  but the speedtest results are really poor:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 47 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :672 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 12.77:21.28:65.96 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You now need to leave everything alone and keep your router constantly connected - BT will then raise your IP Profile and once the Plusnet stable rate follows that you will see the higher speeds. Officially it could take a few days but for the change you've seen it might be quicker.
Edit: See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_increase_time
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lee,
I've raised this for you, there's some pretty bad intermittent connectivity going on there. Should be an update on your ticket shortly.
LeeSmall
Grafter

I have only been with plusnet for nearly 2 months and I have only had about 3 weeks without any issues  Cry
I still don't have anything thats usable.... In fact I have had dialup speeds better than I am getting  Angry
Speedtest results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 52 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :672 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 19.23:28.85:51.92 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
I keep on being told to wait 24, 48 or 72 hours for updates & nothing seems to be happening......

LeeSmall
Grafter

BT came to my house today  - nothing wrong with the line but he couldn't get a decent connection either.  He tried to get hold of PlusNet for over 10 minutes but nobody would answer the phone  Angry Angry Angry Angry
Looks like it's a PlusNet issue so I am now back to square one.....
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Pah!
If your IP Profile is still at 135 that is NOT a Plusnet issue.
LeeSmall
Grafter

Just repeating what the BTOR guy told me.  I have already had more than 2 disconnections today -  I am totally fed up with PlusNet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

All Plusnet will be able to do is push the fault back to BT. It's unfortunate that you got an engineer that's about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.  Sad
LeeSmall
Grafter

Well I have just requested a MAC code - support have just told me that as the fault is intermittent (over 6 times a day) then I could be in this position for a while.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Presumably you are going to a LLU ISP (otherwise you'll still be in the same situation).
LeeSmall
Grafter

I wouldn't need a MAC code to go to a LLU provider  Wink
No - just another provider who doesn't spend nearly a week running their own tests before getting BTOR involved and then not answer the phone when BTOR call them
I have also just been told that BT didn't run the correct tests when they were here and that they a probably going to need to come back to my house again so thats another morning I have to wait around for them to turn up.

ajcraig

Exactly the same symtoms here.....
I have reported my problems on numerous occasions and they are all dismissed.
Even after requesting management to step in they still fail to do so.
I have requested a MAC Code so I can move to another provider as the connection cannot be trusted and the customer support team are hopeless.