cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections and Impact upon Speed

Nacho
Grafter

Disconnections and Impact upon Speed

I’ve had to disconnect my router several times in the past week due to a loss in connection, followed by trying a new router (to replace a whistling one) then connecting up my old router again (because teh replacement whistled worse!). I’ll be trying a new router again this week so it will add up to about 5 or 6 disconnections in a week.
The Plusnet guide says that frequent disconnections can lower your speed profile because it thinks your line is unstable which I understand but it also says ‘speed reductions are never permanent but can take up to 3 days for your normal speed to return to normal’  Is this true, or do you have to request a SNR reset? Do linespeeds recover by themselves?
I’m sure I also read if your profile gets stuck on a slow speed then you can to disconnect and reconnect once a day for 5 days. Again is this true?
And one final thing – where should I be checking to ensure I’m not losing speed. I currently check the upstream and downstrean figures in my router settings,  and do a check on speedtest.net. 
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disconnections and Impact upon Speed

This is the only place  "I currently check the upstream and downstrean figures in my router settings"
Providing you click on disconnect from the router interface and after a couple of minutes disconnect the router from the socket it shouldn't cause problems
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also multiple disconnections more than an hour apart shouldn't cause problems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Nacho
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Also multiple disconnections more than an hour apart shouldn't cause problems.

Ok cheers, I did do 2 within the hour so will have to see. As for using the Disconnection in the router settings, I take it when you connect the router back up, it connects again automatically, or do you have to go in here and select Reconnect? 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You have to select reconnect in my experience
scoobydoo1
Grafter

when i log into router n click disconnect,ready to turn pc off, when i decide to go back on later in day it automatically connects again for me
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Why do you click disconnect before turning the PC off
scoobydoo1
Grafter

if i turn pc router off, it DLM kicks in and effects my download speed, since doing router log in/disconnect, its fine, DLM doesnt affect it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

But why are you trying to shorten the life of the router?
scoobydoo1
Grafter

why waste electric (small i know) leaving it on 24/7 when u can turn it off (by logging in router/clicking disconnect ) when not in use and not have it effecting line speed? (DLM)
why would it shorten the life, if its kept on 24/7 365 days a year theres more chance of it developing a fault i feel
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: scoobydoo1
why would it shorten the life

short answer: thermal cycling and inrush currents.
It's noticeable with filament light bulbs - the filament slowly degrades, getting thinner, but the operating current is lower than the start up current, so they almost invariably "blow" when switched on Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
scoobydoo1
Grafter

oh well, in the unlikly event it happens, i have a spare router, so no biggie
Nacho
Grafter

Quote from: Nacho

it also says ‘speed reductions are never permanent but can take up to 3 days for your normal speed to return to normal’  Is this true, or do you have to request a SNR reset? Do linespeeds recover by themselves?
I’m sure I also read if your profile gets stuck on a slow speed then you can to disconnect and reconnect once a day for 5 days. Again is this true?

What about these 2 points?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There are two things at play here: your 20CN* IP Profile and the target noise margin.
It's a lie that it can take 3 days for the IP Profile to reset to match your current sync speed - it can take up to 5 days depending on how different the speeds are (a small difference takes longer to correct than a big difference).
Target noise margin can take weeks to correct and will typically come down 3db at a time. If the target has been set high for some reason and that issue is resolved and the line is stable a SNR reset is appropriate.
* On 21CN the IP Profile is always set immediately upon connection to 88.2% of your sync speed.